The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.

This is a discussion on First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up. within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Sorry embedding didn't work, here are the links. https://youtu.be/YuKvhgBzYY8 https://youtu.be/xO5ml94RND8...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2017   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information
Default Re: First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.

Sorry embedding didn't work, here are the links.

https://youtu.be/YuKvhgBzYY8

https://youtu.be/xO5ml94RND8

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice to see them doing so well! Those 5 are getting an early start. Some of their siblings that I held onto still have full gills and larval coloration.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Some recent snaps of them.
Attached Thumbnails
First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_012446.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_013507.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_013819.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_021034.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_022540.jpg  

First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_021827.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170423_020532.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170408_000933.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2017   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Looks like they are maturing nicely, maybe you'll have eggs next breeding season. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

They sure are. I've got 2 sure males, and 2 sure females, the last one, which is the one in the last picture I think is a male. That picture is actually from maybe a week or two ago. Since then, its cloaca has gotten a tad bit more prominent and the orange stripe on its back seems to have become a bit raised. Not sure, especially because its color doesn't seem to match the other two males, but if I'm right I've got my ideal 3:2 M:F ratio!

Old 17th June 2017   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here's a pic from today of the male that is the farthest along.
Attached Thumbnails
First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170617_001747.jpg  

Old 19th June 2017   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

They are really coming along! Its great to see updates like these. I ended up keeping 4 siblings of your group's and they are all still gilled and absolutely huge. I am thinking they may end up being neotenic.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:

Would love to see them. How big are they? Are they developing adult coloration?

Old 25th July 2017   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:

Couple recent pics, one of the other males is cresting up now.
Attached Thumbnails
First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170724_185413.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170724_191232.jpg  

Old 15th September 2017   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:

One of the females is laying eggs now. Super small compared to the hypselotriton eggs I'm used to, not sure if that's species specific or just because this female is so young. Whether they turn out to be viable or not, happy to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170915_010257.jpg   First of Five I. a apuanus juvies in their new set up.-20170915_120446.jpg  

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

They're beautiful! My female is huge and the males are just starting to crest up. I love this species, they're so easy to keep and you really can't beat the males in the breeding season for eye popping colours!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
They're beautiful! My female is huge and the males are just starting to crest up. I love this species, they're so easy to keep and you really can't beat the males in the breeding season for eye popping colours!
Would love to see how yours are looking this year. In your experience, do they change much in appearance after the first year?

That male on top has been courting the females almost nonstop since around January. He maybe took a break for a couple weeks. Now that this other brownish male is maturing, I feel sorry for the females, they're so relentless.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: nateb is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you've seen the eggs. My apuanas are laying for the second time in the past 4 months and I still haven't actually seen the eggs. A few of the eggs hatched and now the larvae are close to metamorphosing and at the same time I just found a few new little larvae in with the parents. These really are a fun species to keep. I've had them for a little less than a year, but it has been great watching the changes and growth in that time.

nateb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack