The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?

This is a discussion on Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies? within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have some alpines I purchased as larvae. The person I got them from is not sure of the subspecies ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shnabo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?

I have some alpines I purchased as larvae. The person I got them from is not sure of the subspecies as they were purchased at an expo. I was wondering if anyone here may be able to identify them now that they have gotten a little bigger. I believe they hatched in April-May so they are about 7 months old. I can take any specific photos upon request if that would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?-img_9559.jpg   Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?-img_9563.jpg   Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?-img_9411.jpg   Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?-img_9420.jpg   Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?-img_9381.jpg  

Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?-img_8951.jpg  

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11
Default Re: Alpine juveniles - possible to ID subspecies?

The spotting on the throat, and the fact that they're aquatic as juveniles, would suggest I. a. apuana.

It's not possible to tell for certain unless you can find out their exact origin, though.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack