The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Alpine inexpectatus

This is a discussion on Alpine inexpectatus within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have 3 alpine inexpectatus I received from a friend here. I was wondering if their bellies turn orange later ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Alpine inexpectatus

I have 3 alpine inexpectatus I received from a friend here. I was wondering if their bellies turn orange later on. I have seen pics online of inexpectatus with yellow and some
with orange bellies so I'm not too sure/ pretty sure regardless what alpine subspecies you search all the same pics come up lol. I feed them foods high in carotene at least once or twice a week. These ones are still young.
Attached Thumbnails
Alpine inexpectatus-img_0659.jpg   Alpine inexpectatus-img_0650.jpg   Alpine inexpectatus-img_0647.jpg  

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Alpine inexpectatus

Diet may have something to do with it.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can add is that I bought my three alpine news last year when they were under a year old, and all had orange bellies and remain orange several months later with no special feedings. I feed them pelleted new food and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, etc. I feed them live daphnia, bloodworms and mosquito larvae in the spring, summer and fall.

Good luck.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Diet plays a big role in belly color. If the larvae are fed carotene rich foods such as daphnia, copepods, gammarus etc. they will have much redder bellies than those fed worms, tubifex, red worms etc when they morph. The belly color at morphing usually stays with the animals through adulthood too so if high red animals are important its easier to accomplish this before the animal morphs. Belly color and colors generally will intensify with a carotene rich diet after morphing but it seems to take a lot more time to become noticeable.

I have Alpine (apuanas) morphs that have both orange and yellow bellies and it all correlates to what foods I had available when they were larvae.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post
All I can add is that I bought my three alpine news last year when they were under a year old, and all had orange bellies and remain orange several months later with no special feedings. I feed them pelleted new food and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, etc. I feed them live daphnia, bloodworms and mosquito larvae in the spring, summer and fall.

Good luck.
Apart from the bloodworm all the foods you mention are high in carotene. The pellets alone are normally enough to turn their bellies orange.
Mind you, I find that even when feeding a diet relatively low in carotene (earthworms) I find that that by the time they are a few years old my Cynops species bellies are well on their way to being red.

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Thanks for the input! I feed them brine shrimp primarily, but received them after 2 had morphed. I will stick to the brine shrimp in hopes of seeing that beautiful shade of orange some day.

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack