The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Male deaths following breeding

This is a discussion on Male deaths following breeding within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have been speaking to a few fellow triturus keepers for tips regarding breeding over the last few months. A ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caleb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Male deaths following breeding

I have been speaking to a few fellow triturus keepers for tips regarding breeding over the last few months. A number of people I have spoken to reported that some of their males (marmoratus in most cases) died shortly following breeding season (not necessarily after a successful mating). I was wondering how regularly this happens, and if there is anything that can be done to prevent it. Do you have experience losing male triturus after breeding season(doesn't have to be marms specifically)? If so is there anything you think was the cause?

I know the males don't eat nearly as much during this time/hardly at all, could it have to do w/ starvation/exhaustion from the transformation? He doesn't eat much but will take a decent size worm chunk every two weeks. Not showing any signs of weakness/illness and is very active, just want to make sure if there aren't any preventative measures I'm missing/other factors I haven't considered. Temperature is currently around 16C.

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Male deaths following breeding

My experience has been that T. marmoratus need to spend part of the year on land. Most only want to be in water during the breeding season. You have to be certain they have enough nutritional food for the land and water phase. If forced to stay in the water when they would rather be on land they can go down pretty quick.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've experienced males of many species losing appetite following breeding over the years as well. Generally it comes back pretty quick, especially if fed small worms. I lost dobrogicus following breeding, both males and females two years in a row until I lost my entire group. This happened with my lissotriton as well. They became hydrophobic, refused food and once they went terrestrial they would not eat either. I've never had these issues with my marmoratus though. My group for whatever reason does not leave the water after breeding though they have the option to.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2017   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnabo View Post
I know the males don't eat nearly as much during this time/hardly at all
This hasn't been true for the Triturus species I've kept- both sexes have always fed throughout the breeding season. Studies of T. cristatus (e.g. Microhabitat Selection and Feeding Relations of Smooth and Warty Newts, Triturus vulgaris and T. cristatus, at an Upland Pond in Mid-Wales on JSTOR ) have found that they feed at this time in the wild too.

Personally, I'd be offering food at least a couple of times a week while they're aquatic.

I'd also echo what's been said above- don't force them to stay in the water after breeding, as this is likely to cause problems. You might even want to force them to leave the water (by lowering the water level, or just putting them in a very damp terrestrial setup, and letting it dry gradually to an appropriate moisture level).

My experience is that giving them a terrestrial phase results in better breeding results in the long run.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack