The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Keeping Marbled Newts outdoors

This is a discussion on Keeping Marbled Newts outdoors within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi, I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with keeping Marbled Newts in outdoor enclosures throughout the year ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 0
Rep: Damian2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping Marbled Newts outdoors

Hi,
I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with keeping Marbled Newts in outdoor enclosures throughout the year in the UK ?

I've kept and bred them before but always over-wintered them at 7-10 C.

Many thanks

Damian

Damian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Keeping Marbled Newts outdoors

In the Netherlands there's at least one guy who has an outdoor enclosure, where they stay throughout the year. Good breeding results.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: mashcroft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Keeping Marbled Newts outdoors

I have kept marbled newts outside for the last 20years, they are very similar to great crested newts ,and will interbreed. I live in Macclesfield (Manchester area ), the main problem with the UK is the winter's are not consistently cold ,and as we know they probably use body fat which can kill them. I think mine hibernate under sheds ,in walls ect. Hope this is of some help. Martin

mashcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Rep: Damian2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 回复: Keeping Marbled Newts outdoors

Many thanks to Niels and Martin for your replies.

I might have to give it a go with these in an outdoor enclosure.

I'm hoping to start constructing one shortly.

Cheers

Damian

Damian2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack