The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Marbled newt larvae care

This is a discussion on Marbled newt larvae care within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, i am new to the forum and is seeking extra care tips on my marbled newt larvae. i have ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jordanyukio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marbled newt larvae care

Hello, i am new to the forum and is seeking extra care tips on my marbled newt larvae. i have around 50-60 eggs i purchased and they are all devoloping well. any tips would be greatly appreciated

jordanyukio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Marbled newt larvae care

Try doing a search, and don't forget about caudata culture! Good luck!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: ndbug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jordan! Welcome to the forum, here you'll meet a huge and wide spread community of Caudata enthusiasts! Your number one priority should be doing all the research you can! Read Read and Read some more! Also you should do some searches to find pictures of newt development from egg to adult! I've included a few links that may answer some of your questions. Hope it helps! and Good Luck!
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Triturus marmoratus Southern marbled newt videos, photos and facts - Triturus pygmaeus | ARKive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritur...nd_development

ndbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

The basics:

- keep cool, around 16-20 degrees seems to work well for me for development
- keep the water clean, always. Do whatever it takes for that to happen. For me I dechlorinate water and let it sit in a bucket with an air stone for a week. I mix in some cycles tank water before leaving for the week.
- you need a constant supply of microfoods for at least the first few weeks - bbs and black worms chopped up seem to be the 'industry standard'
- when they get to around 2 inches they will likely be approaching morph. Some people raise the temperature and or decrease water level to do so, I like to let it happen naturally.
- when they are approaching morph, a slanted land portion that is big enough and easily accessible so they can climb out
- transition to feeding on land (see forums)

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

First off congrats! They are a great species and a lot of fun to raise. Everything Shnabo said is right on. I would add that marmoratus are incredibly water quality sensitive for the first few weeks of development. It is a good idea to have several tubs with 10-20 larvae each rather than all in one large tub. If something goes wrong you won't lose everything. I generally don't do any water changes until the larvae become free swimming and rear legs begin to bud. Triturus in general do best with aged, established water rather than dechlorinated tap. I generally use water from the adult tank for water changes. Since this doesn't sound like it is an available option for you be sure to have several buckets of dechlorinated water aging.

I like to feed them moina at first rather than bbs because they will stay alive longer and are less prone to messing with the water chemistry. As the larvae age I introduce chopped black worms and daphnia. I always put several oak leaves, java moss and sponge filters in my larvae set ups.

Good luck! You will learn a lot, especially if it is your first year raising newts from eggs.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Check https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack