The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Morphing questions

This is a discussion on Morphing questions within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello! I've kept ambystomatids for many years, and a few Necturus but this is my first foray into eurasian newts. ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ekocak has started on the right path
Default Morphing questions

Hello!
I've kept ambystomatids for many years, and a few Necturus but this is my first foray into eurasian newts. In January I received some T. dobrogicus dobrogicus eggs from Michael Shrom. I've kept them in a well planted tank and experimented with feeding them both daphnia and bbs. Anyways, theyre now almost all sporting all 4 legs. I've separated the largest six into a new tank with some lowered water level, and a haul out area. One or two of them seem to have reduction in gill size, and one of them has the biggest gills I have ever seen. Seriously, theyre like 2x the height of the larva. I'll post a pic later. Is it too early to expect morphing? Some of what I've read on here seems to suggest it's around 6 months? What should I look out for? How deep is too deep? When should I move them completely to full terrestrial? When should I consider moving them back? Thanks, and thanks for your patience with me.

EDIT: Here is Newtzilla
Morphing questions-c90ogmjxkaaoryp.jpg-large.jpeg

Last edited by ekocak; 20th April 2017 at 17:27.
ekocak is offline   Reply With Quote