The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Leucistic alpine?

This is a discussion on Leucistic alpine? within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Is it possible to have a leucistic alpine newt? I know there are a lot of color morphs with alpines ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By juraj
  • 1 Post By juraj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Leucistic alpine?

Is it possible to have a leucistic alpine newt? I know there are a lot of color morphs with alpines generally. I have one that is much lighter/borderline translucent or white but not quite a solid white like other leucistic from different species. It is not the light brown that is sometimes seen in female alpines either, I have posted a picture of a siblings beside it for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Leucistic alpine?-img_5734.jpg   Leucistic alpine?-img_5722.jpg   Leucistic alpine?-img_5710.jpg   Leucistic alpine?-img_5737.jpg  

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Leucistic alpine?

I saw leucistic alpine years ago and it looked like somewhat different.
j.
Attached Thumbnails
Leucistic alpine?-p5053954.jpg  

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

One more snap from the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Leucistic alpine?-p5053952.jpg  

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Not leucistic. Pretty typical light phase coloration, usually seen on females.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've seen this with I.a.apuanus as well. Very beautiful.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by otolith View Post
Not leucistic. Pretty typical light phase coloration, usually seen on females.
Do they generally keep it as adults? There were times when it got a little darker but it seems to be getting lighter now. I study genetics as a hobby so I was just curious / curious as to how leucism even develops within a species of interbreeding siblings has been disproven to cause genetic issues amongst amphibians(to some extent/ based on what I've read)

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: August Wilhelm is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a leucistic, its rather common that some females get very light!

But beautiful animals! :)

August Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack