The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Triturus dobrogicus

This is a discussion on Triturus dobrogicus within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, recently I got four captive bred Triturus dobrogicu s with origins from Romania (Lake Razim). They are juveniles and ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Jensino
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman
  • 2 Post By Jensino
  • 4 Post By Jensino
  • 3 Post By Jensino
  • 1 Post By Jensino

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jensino has started on the right path
Default Triturus dobrogicus

Hello,

recently I got four captive bred Triturus dobrogicus with origins from Romania (Lake Razim). They are juveniles and their red bellies remind me of Cynops orientalis. I canīt wait to see the males develop their courtship display, but this will take some time, since they are still very tiny with a length of approx. 5 to 6 cm.
I keep them in an aqua-terrarium with the dimensions 80x35x40 cm (L x W x H). They like to hide under the Egeria densa and between cushions of Lomariopsis lineata.
Iīll keep you updated about their development. Any advice is welcome.

Best regards,

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus.jpg  

Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Triturus dobrogicus

It might not be as long as you think! They may be mating by next year. Good luck!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default AW: Triturus dobrogicus

I hope you are right. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Some hobbyists mentioned that their crested newts reach sexual maturity within one year after metamorphosis. According to literature it takes an average of 458 days to reach maturity in captivity (Thiesmeier, B.; Kupfer, A.; Jehle, R. (2009): Der Kammmolch).
But I wouldnīt be disappointed if it takes longer.

Old 21st May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

T. cristatus will mature in well under a year with a good supply of food, so I would imagine dobrogicus would be similar. Weather year round feeding rather than allowing them a winter torpid period is good for their long term health I'm not so sure.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default AW: Triturus dobrogicus

There is no need to rush, therefore the plan is to let them hibernate from nov. to feb. Like they would do in the wild.
I also have taken some more pictures. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-forum.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-3.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-juvenile-forum-resized.jpg  

Old 6th June 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Those are beautiful. They look a little different from the other dobro I have seen, must be due to locality. All the best breeding them!

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

All four newts are doing fine and have shown slightly growth in the past two month. I feed them with Daphnia, different types of mosquito larvae, Tubifex and Enchytraea worms, brine shrimps, Asellus and small mealworms. I try to keep their diet as diversified as possible to prevent deficiency signs.
The water temperature varies between 18-24 °C. Due to their distribution they should be adapted to slightly higher temperatures than Triturus cristatus, so the upper range of those temperatures shouldnīt harm them.
I hope you enjoyed the update and I wish all of you good luck with your newts!
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-danube-crested-newt-resized.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-danube-crested-newt-resized.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-portrait.jpg  

Old 11th October 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Itīs time for an update:

My newts are now between 7 and 10 cm in length, so they have doubled their size since may.
I assume it is one male and three females. The male is smaller, with a more slender body and lighter skin.
I am beginning to fatten them (mostly with earthworms), before the hibernation starts in a few weeks. The actual water temperature is 15 degrees Celsius, when it drops below 10 °C the newts will be taken out from the aqurium and placed into the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-red-belly.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-7.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-8.jpg  

Old 18 Hours Ago   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

All four newts are hibernating right now.
I had to catch them out of their aqua-terrarium, because they didnīt leave the water even when the temperature dropped to 9 °C. They were still eating and very active at those temperatures. Unfortunately it didnīt get any colder in this room, if I could only lower the water-temperature constantly and stable below 5 °C I would let them hibernate fully aquatic and keep them in their tank all year round. But I donīt want to spent the money on a cooling unit, when I have a full working fridge.
I used a simple interior for the hibernation-box; just some leaves and a halved coconut for hiding and a wet paper-towel for moistening. They were living in this setup for three weeks now and I change the paper-towel and leaves once per week, always trying to not disturb the little newts.
I collect the falling leaves from my garden, since there are living wild amphibians, I sterilize those leaves with boiling water and dry them afterwards to prevent infections with chytrid or similar. A few days before the hibernation started I stopped feeding my newts to allow them to empty their gastrointestinal tract.
I will let them hibernate like this until January and then relocate them to their tank. So the total hibernation period will be 8 to 10 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-hibernation.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-hibernation-ii.jpg  

LinkBack