The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Triturus dobrogicus

This is a discussion on Triturus dobrogicus within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, recently I got four captive bred Triturus dobrogicu s with origins from Romania (Lake Razim). They are juveniles and ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jensino
  • 1 Post By Jensino

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jensino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Triturus dobrogicus

Hello,

recently I got four captive bred Triturus dobrogicus with origins from Romania (Lake Razim). They are juveniles and their red bellies remind me of Cynops orientalis. I canŽt wait to see the males develop their courtship display, but this will take some time, since they are still very tiny with a length of approx. 5 to 6 cm.
I keep them in an aqua-terrarium with the dimensions 80x35x40 cm (L x W x H). They like to hide under the Egeria densa and between cushions of Lomariopsis lineata.
IŽll keep you updated about their development. Any advice is welcome.

Best regards,

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus.jpg  
Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Triturus dobrogicus

It might not be as long as you think! They may be mating by next year. Good luck!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default AW: Triturus dobrogicus

I hope you are right. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Some hobbyists mentioned that their crested newts reach sexual maturity within one year after metamorphosis. According to literature it takes an average of 458 days to reach maturity in captivity (Thiesmeier, B.; Kupfer, A.; Jehle, R. (2009): Der Kammmolch).
But I wouldnŽt be disappointed if it takes longer.
Old 6 Days Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Triturus dobrogicus

T. cristatus will mature in well under a year with a good supply of food, so I would imagine dobrogicus would be similar. Weather year round feeding rather than allowing them a winter torpid period is good for their long term health I'm not so sure.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default AW: Triturus dobrogicus

There is no need to rush, therefore the plan is to let them hibernate from nov. to feb. Like they would do in the wild.
I also have taken some more pictures. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-forum.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-3.jpg   Triturus dobrogicus-triturus-dobrogicus-juvenile-forum-resized.jpg