The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

neotenic alpine

This is a discussion on neotenic alpine within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; one of last years young, he's around 3 inches now....

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2008   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default neotenic alpine

one of last years young, he's around 3 inches now.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

rigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008   #2 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: neotenic alpine

very nice specimen you have there, i understand its relatively common in alpines is it not?

benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: rigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.orgrigsby is a mainstay of Caudata.org

so i've heard, did you spot one of this years hatchlings on the second picture.

Old 25th May 2008   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: ButtercupSaiyan has started on the right path

Quite pretty.

ButtercupSaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That's a beautiful animal Ian! I have a few adult apuanus that have kept nubs of gills, but none have full blown juvenile characteristics like that one. Is that larva the child of the one pictured, or does it just happen to be in the same tank?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 4
Rep: louise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Nice! The wee one beside it is tiny.

louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Just caught caught in the net as i took the larger one out to photograph it, didn't even notice it until i uploaded the pictures. I doubt very much if its one of his, theres hundreds of eggs in the tank from five females, the good thing about alpines is they tend to leave them alone.

Old 26th May 2008   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
the good thing about alpines is they tend to leave them alone.
I've found this too, which is strange when I see how aggressive mine are to one another and anything that vaguely looks edible. I've known mine to climb up the sides of the tank to attack my fingers during feeding! And yet they leave the larvae and eggs well alone.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11onetwentysix goes to 11

That's really cool! You have any neoteny in his siblings, etc?

onetwentysix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, neotenic

LinkBack