The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Triturus arntzeni

This is a discussion on Triturus arntzeni within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Since there doesnīt seem to be much photo-material online on Triturus arntzeni i will post some pics here. I have ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 6
Rep: huug has given good advice and informationhuug has given good advice and informationhuug has given good advice and information
Default Triturus arntzeni

Since there doesnīt seem to be much photo-material online on Triturus arntzeni i will post some pics here. I have 1 male and 2 females, at the moment i am raising 5 larvae to.

Notice on some pics how you can see the silverygray coloration of the male, with the beautifull black dots and the marbled speckles on the back. I love this species!

Just a few days ago (15th) i put a male and female in an aquatic setup.
I will post pics every know and then to let you see how the newts develop from a dull terrestrial coloration to the aquatic looks! With the best pics in spring ofcourse. :)

As a starter, a pic of the first day in a aquatic set up!
Allso some pics of the newts now,5 days later, and a "nearmorph" and a larvae.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus arntzeni-arntzeni-male-first-day-water-after-terrestrial-period-15-sept-09.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-tritrurus-arntzeni-female-5-days-after-being-put-aquartic-setup-sept19th-2009-2-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-tritrurus-arntzeni-male-5-days-after-being-put-aquartic-setup-sept19th-2009-2-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-tritrurus-arntzeni-male-5-days-after-being-put-aquartic-setup-sept19th-2009-3-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-tritrurus-arntzeni-pair-5-days-after-being-put-aquartic-setup-sept19th-2009.jpg  

Triturus arntzeni-triturus-arntzeni-larvae-near-morphing-getting-adult-spot-already-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-triturus-arntzeni-larvae-near-morphing-getting-adult-spot-already-2-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-triturus-arntzeni-larvae.jpg  

Old 20th September 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Triturus arntzeni

wonderful newts congrats, cant wait to see them in full breeding dress
thanks for posting the picture

End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tindalos has started on the right path

Beautiful animals. Looking forward to see the development.

tindalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: huug has given good advice and informationhuug has given good advice and informationhuug has given good advice and information

The crest is now slightly bigger after 10 days, bit no big difference yet!
Still,..i like the pics cause of the light, they are brighter and you can see the colors better, than you can in the former pics,..so i thought i just add them here!!
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus arntzeni-male-triturus-arntzeni-26-sept-2009-15-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-male-triturus-arntzeni-26-sept-2009-7-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-male-triturus-arntzeni-26-sept-2009-8-.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-male-triturus-arntzeni-26-sept-2009-13-.jpg  

Old 30th September 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 3
Rep: stavroske has given good advice and informationstavroske has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by huug View Post
The crest is now slightly bigger after 10 days, bit no big difference yet!
Still,..i like the pics cause of the light, they are brighter and you can see the colors better, than you can in the former pics,..so i thought i just add them here!!
Nice Huug! Looking forward to see the development!

Regards, Steven

stavroske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bxboy57 has started on the right path

Nice looking animals. Good luck with their breeding. Where is that species from?

Regards
Ken

bxboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

bulgaria and other balkan areas
cheers,

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here is an update on the male developing its crest!
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus arntzeni-triturus-arntzeni-male-31-oct-2009.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-triturus-arntzeni-male-31-oct-2009-2-.jpg  

Old 1st November 2009   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

wow! nice! Really hope those breed

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009   #10 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

Look pretty close to Tr.karelinii.

What is the official status of the species?

Uwe

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

As far as i know, itīs not recognized as a species of its own. Iīm quite surprised to see that instead of being considered a subspecies of T.karelinii, some people are giving it species status....i would like to know why (iīm curious as to wether itīs a mistake, a personal decission or if the change has been made official and i missed it).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

It used to be considered a subspecies of Triturus karelinii but as of May 2009 (I think it was May) it was elevated to species status.

Old 25th November 2009   #13 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

Is there any literature to this staement?

Uwe

Old 25th November 2009   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
Is there any literature to this staement?

Uwe
If you can get a hold of this paper it will show you how it achieved full species status.

Multiple nuclear and mitochondrial genes resolve the branching orderof a rapid radiation of crested newts (Triturus, Salamandridae)G. Espregueira Themudo, B. Wielstra, J.W. Arntzen Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 52 (2009) 321–328

Old 25th November 2009   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: eldaldo has given consistently good advice and informationeldaldo has given consistently good advice and informationeldaldo has given consistently good advice and informationeldaldo has given consistently good advice and information

I find taxonomy quite funny. every new technology that comes out, allows us to make the definition of a species more and more specific; thus totally redefining every part of our current taxonomic data, and restructuring phylogenetic trees, etc. When it really comes down to it, who's to say what the definition of a species over a subspecies is? it seems to me, that the distinction between the two is nebulous at best, and at some point, is it that important?

I remember having a semi firm grasp on taxonomy until I took botany classes where with hybridization and things like that, in many cases, species and subspecies distinctions of a plant are useless. It taught me that you have to be open minded about these things. What is the more interesting science? arguing over whether something is a species or subspecies? or studying things that are truly unknown? I understand that alot of these species redefinition papers are really looking at evolutionary backgrounds, and the redefinition is only a minor result of the findings. But still, does anyone else find these constant classifications annoying? hopefully genetics is as specific as we can get in terms of species analysis, and this is the last reclassification there will ever be . . .

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread with off topic ranting. I really just wanted to agree with Azhael and say, these look remarkably similar to T. karelinii.

eldaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009   #16 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:

Got the literature from Hugo (thank you).

It seems convincing. I hope we get some inside views at the next Gersfeld meetings.

See you

Uwe

Old 18th January 2010   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hey Everyone!

As i promised earlier, last year, here is the update on how an adult Triturus Arntzeni male looks like!

I love the species,...
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus arntzeni-061.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-063.jpg   Triturus arntzeni-067.jpg  

Old 18th January 2010   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge

Wow what a huge crest , very nice animal
thanks for the update

End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 3
Rep: stavroske has given good advice and informationstavroske has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldaldo View Post
I find taxonomy quite funny. every new technology that comes out, allows us to make the definition of a species more and more specific; thus totally redefining every part of our current taxonomic data, and restructuring phylogenetic trees, etc. When it really comes down to it, who's to say what the definition of a species over a subspecies is? it seems to me, that the distinction between the two is nebulous at best, and at some point, is it that important?

I remember having a semi firm grasp on taxonomy until I took botany classes where with hybridization and things like that, in many cases, species and subspecies distinctions of a plant are useless. It taught me that you have to be open minded about these things. What is the more interesting science? arguing over whether something is a species or subspecies? or studying things that are truly unknown? I understand that alot of these species redefinition papers are really looking at evolutionary backgrounds, and the redefinition is only a minor result of the findings. But still, does anyone else find these constant classifications annoying? hopefully genetics is as specific as we can get in terms of species analysis, and this is the last reclassification there will ever be . . .

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread with off topic ranting. I really just wanted to agree with Azhael and say, these look remarkably similar to T. karelinii.

Actually I think both studies are very important. The real unknown things AND the studie of species. When they become a differend species in science, it will make it much easier to keep them separated. Some people buy a species without knowing the real findingplace, afterwards they buy the "same" species but from a total differend location and put them together in a tank, without knowing that they have 2 totally differend genes (other subspecies). Making species from subspecies will eventually avoid mixing genes...

Very Nice male Huug, thanks for posting!

stavroske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010   #20 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:

You made the point Stavroske.

If you get hands on animals with place of origin this is invaluable and you have to keep them separate.

With this precaution your breeding and observing becomes also scientifically relevant.

For example I keep my self two groups of T.karelinii, one from the "russian market" the other with exact place of origin. In the movemnet which is momentarily going on in karelinii/Kammmolchgroup this might get exciting.

Uwe

Last edited by Mark; 22nd January 2010 at 12:30. Reason: changed unvaluable to invaluable

Tags
arntzeni, triturus

LinkBack