The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic?

This is a discussion on Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic? within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I could use some advice with my marm morphs: they have gotten their beautiful green colors and the larval characteristics ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

View Poll Results: I've kept my juvenile T. marmoratus

aquatic 17 29.82%
terrestrial 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2011   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Question Re: Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic?

I could use some advice with my marm morphs:

they have gotten their beautiful green colors and the larval characteristics have all but disappeared, although they still have some gill remnants. They are 6-7 cm and basically look very good.

Tank temp is 60 F

I was going to see them through metamorphosis according to Jennewt's method from this thread. I have an island with cover for them, and a separate terrestrial setup ready for those who climb up on the island and look like they would like to sample land life.

Whenever I find a morph on the island I run off excitedly and get the terrestrial setup, check the moss and moisture, add bugs - and when I go to fetch the newt from his island, he's back in the water hunting blackworms or hanging out on the hornwort at the surface.

so...do they not want to become terrestrial? Is this in-and-out business what other people get? Should I just grab them when they are on the island and put them in the terretstrial setup? What should Mama do?

p.s: would post pics, but connection is too slow right now - however, they look just like Jen's in her thread that I linked above

Old 16th August 2011   #22 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic?

If they've still got gill stubs perhaps they aren't quite ready. It's normal for them to dip in and out of the water during this stage and especially whilst there's food underwater.

Make sure they have a little hide on the island. If they feel insecure their instinct is to dive for the water. When they start spending the majority of their time on land I normally pop them in a terrestrial tub (even if they dive back in I net them out).

Most importantly, don't worry about them! Marm juveniles are bullet proof eating machines, whether they're aquatic or terrestrial. Whatever they do they'll be fine.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011   #23 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

thanks Mark :)
Meanwhile, I got my first two fully morphed land newts. I transfered them to a woodland setup in an exoterra box, seeded with lots of whiteworms, field plankton and isos.

Here's a couple shots: btw, isn't it amazing how well camouflaged they are in the moss? This moss has the same green fronts with the reddish middle vein, just like the marms..
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic?-img_6734.jpg   Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic?-img_6735.jpg  

Last edited by Molch; 18th August 2011 at 10:23.
Molch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011   #24 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and information

Larvae:

Juvs:

Adults:

Jeroen Spobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

As a point of comparison, I would note that some populations of Taricha are almost entirely aquatic in the wild, and the same is true of some Notophthalmus. Many N.viridescens populations lack an eft stage as well.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013   #26 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I assume you mean Triturus, not Taricha, FrogEyes...?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013   #27 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

No. Many more northerly populations of T.granulosa are almost entirely aquatic.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013   #28 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Ah, I see. The same is true for some Triturus populations, so I thought you were referring to those. My mistake!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013   #29 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've always been interested in the differences between raising them aquatic or terrestrial. I've bred N.v.louisianensis, T.marmoratus and H.orientalis in an aquatic setup, with only a large piece of stone sticking out of the (full with Java moss) water offering all the food in the water, in a paper towel setup and in a coco peat setup.

With a little effort I could pincer feed all three species, even Notophthalmus. With this last species the aquatic animals grew a lot faster in the beginning. Now they're adult all animals are of the same size the smallest specimen being raised aquatic and the biggest being raised terrestrial. Having less animals on land than in the water it still took a lot of time feeding the terrestrial juveniles, but I could do it while watching the telly.

With T.marmoratus I hardly saw any difference in size. The animals on land were given small waxies sometimes though. Same goes for H.orientalis, except the wax worms of course. I offered them blood worms on paper towel. Really enjoyed raising them both ways.

For T.marmoratus and N.v.louisianensis I prefer raising them on land with paper towels. Some fellow keepers are a little upset when they see my containers which only contain paper towels and plant pots splitten in two as hiding places. I admit that it looks very unnatural, but most of my juveniles are ferocious eaters and run out of their hiding places towards the pincers when it's feeding time.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013   #30 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have raised marmoratus both terrestrial with small water bowl, and in a half and half semi aquatic set up with shallow water through my many years of newt keeping.
I found generally that if given a lot of water as an option, young marms will take to the water a lot, and can of their own accord opt to go aquatic just a month after metamorphosis.
These individuals would then have more water added and land area would just be a piece of floating cork bark, which was then rarely used at all no matter what time of the year.

These newts raised this way can reach maturity and even breed in just 1 year.
I have also had the same happen with crested newts

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack