The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

My aquarium

This is a discussion on My aquarium within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So here it is, a video of my aquarium. Go free to comment and subscribe my channel. If you can ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: werds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My aquarium

So here it is, a video of my aquarium. Go free to comment and subscribe my channel.

If you can sex them please comment.

werds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: My aquarium

Hey! No comments?
Old 2nd September 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

It's a nice looking aquarium and a good starting point, but I would recommend lots more plants for the newts, especially stuff that will grow along the surface, Chinese firebellies will spend most of their time hanging out in them if given the choice. Dense plants at the surface will also help diffuse the current from the filter, H. orientalis do best and are happiest in still water.
If you must keep fish with the newts whiteclouds are a good choice, but you should remove the Otocinclus. Their dorsal and pectoral fin spines are a real choking hazard if the newts decide to try and swallow it. Also, Otos are tropical fish that require water temps of 22c and above, the newts are cold water creatures that can't tolerate those temps for anything more than a few days without becoming stressed and unhappy.
I realise that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's all easy stuff to change, so with those few improvements you can give the newts perfect conditions which I'm sure they'd thank you for. :)
It's hard to try and sex them from the video, if you could get some still pics of each newt from the side and below it would make it a lot easier.

Last edited by Chinadog; 2nd September 2016 at 16:19.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi, working on getting more plants yes, like egeria.

In my welcome topic i have some photos of them.
Old 2nd September 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Certainly i will add more plants yes, like egeria

You can see in my welcome topic some photos of the newts.