The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cynops orientalis growth rate

This is a discussion on Cynops orientalis growth rate within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi this is my experience raising c orientalis on there growth. March 24th first egg hatched in shipping. May 4th ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Canecorsonewt
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By Canecorsonewt
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Cynops orientalis growth rate

Hi this is my experience raising c orientalis on there growth.
March 24th first egg hatched in shipping.
May 4th 2 of the three had back legs.
July 14th they had morphed all within a week of each other.
I raised them in shallow water with java moss as land. After the day the first one morphed i put white worms on java moss and in water. I did this for about two weeks than i did it every other feeding for about 2 weeks then quit and ony feed under water. I never hand feed i did try with frozen bloodworms with no success. I rarely see them under water only seen one eat under water once. They still like to climb the glass I forgot to secure my cover and lost one So get a good cover thats easy to use.
September 16th in and out of water more when they see me they go for land.
September 28th bouth in water for over hour. Looked at me and headed my way putmy finger on glass tgey came to check it out.. At this rate they might be fully aquatic in a month

Canecorsonewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Cynops orientalis growth rate

Sorry you lost one. When I raised my first group of pyrrhos I had one of them go "over the top" at feeding time. I was actually there next to the tank! I used to hand feed them with the room lights off and the tv on, must have missed it climbing the glass. Won't make that mistake again!
Glad they're doing so well. :)

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Canecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledgeCanecorsonewt has shown reliable knowledge

Its crazy how something with a bright red belly can hide so well. Came home from vacation checked on them and one was missing i was upset because i just lost the other one a the week before basically the same situation. So i take everything out of tank looking all over my room. I find it in the tank uder the top black plastic frame. I looked around up there with a flashlight and didn't see it before i took my tank apart. But after i had everything out it pops its head out.

Old 30th September 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

It's amazing how they can tuck themselves into such tight spaces. One of my freshly morphed 2014 pyrrhos had forced himself into the plastic channel that the glass lids on the aquatic tank slide in, he ended up with a mangled foot and I felt terrible for ages afterwards. He ended up being the only one from that year that I kept in the end and although he's huge nowadays, he still has only four toes on his back foot!

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canecorsonewt View Post
Hi this is my experience raising c orientalis on there growth.
March 24th first egg hatched in shipping.
May 4th 2 of the three had back legs.
July 14th they had morphed all within a week of each other.
I raised them in shallow water with java moss as land. After the day the first one morphed i put white worms on java moss and in water. I did this for about two weeks than i did it every other feeding for about 2 weeks then quit and ony feed under water. I never hand feed i did try with frozen bloodworms with no success. I rarely see them under water only seen one eat under water once. They still like to climb the glass I forgot to secure my cover and lost one So get a good cover thats easy to use.
September 16th in and out of water more when they see me they go for land.
September 28th bouth in water for over hour. Looked at me and headed my way putmy finger on glass tgey came to check it out.. At this rate they might be fully aquatic in a month
September 11th for the about a week i haven't seen them in the water like on the 28th. My scuds exploded that are with my C orientals. I see the scuds eating the white worms I'm going to remove some scuds see if that brings them back in to the water. I can see scuds on top of the java moss so they have no need to go under water for food.

LinkBack