The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Missing newt!

This is a discussion on Missing newt! within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; One our FBNs managed to escape through an improperly secured lid last night We've looked everywhere in the vicinity, but ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Niels D
  • 1 Post By Jort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2016   #1 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Missing newt!

One our FBNs managed to escape through an improperly secured lid last night
We've looked everywhere in the vicinity, but is there anywhere in particular we are likely to find him? Will he be looking for warm or cool? Damp or dry?
There is a possibility that he fell in the oscars' tank, if he did they would have eaten him and not left any evidence, but the fish were hungry this evening so we think it's not likely.
Old 11th October 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Missing newt!

Oh no! Hope you find him.
I would look for dark places like behind doors or under/behind bookshelves or cabinets etc. They can get much further than you'd think as well, even further over laminate or wood. Also be careful not to over look it as well, they always appear smaller out the water especially when covered in fluff and a bit dehydrated.
Hope you find him soon.
Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Put a wet towell on the floor in case he fell on the ground. With a little bit of luck he hasn't left the room, so he can find some moist in the towell. Check it regularly. If you have a bit of cork bark floating in your setup, then check the crevices of it if it's big enough for a newt to hide in it.
P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/T.verrucosus//C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jort has started on the right path

I used the wet towel method with succes. A C. orientalis was hiding beneath it after it escaped.
Jort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: seandelevan has shown reliable knowledge

I remember when I was a kid I had an eastern spotted newt escape. The tank was in the basement. Anyway looked everywhere never found him. A month or so went by until I came home from school and my dad told me he found one of my "critters and put it back in its tank". Sure enough it was the newt. A bit emaciated but fine. He found him curled up near the drain in the basement floor getting moisture from the condensation from the hot water heater. Amazing.

Not sure where your tank is but look for places of moisture and damp areas. If this was in a dry non basement area of the house you might only have 48 hours tops.
seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote