The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Do H. orientalis develop paratoid glands with age?

This is a discussion on Do H. orientalis develop paratoid glands with age? within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Do they develop these as they get older? Most pictures I've seen of them they don't really have paratoid glands, ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information
Default Do H. orientalis develop paratoid glands with age?

Do they develop these as they get older? Most pictures I've seen of them they don't really have paratoid glands, even as adults. I've had a group for about 8 years, so they're at least around 9 years old and a few have developed paratoid gland-like structures, looking a little like C. pyrrhogaster. This was not present when I got them and probably not present until maybe even just this past year or 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Do H. orientalis develop paratoid glands with age?-img_3991.jpg   Do H. orientalis develop paratoid glands with age?-img_3993.jpg  
stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Do H. orientalis develop paratoid glands with age?

Generally speaking, H. orientalis has much smaller paratoid glands than C. pyrrhogaster, but you do see orientals that look like pyrrhos and visa versa from time to time.
Some strains of pyrrho like Kanto seem to have smaller glands than others, whereas sasayama (as in my avatar) usually have very large ones, especially males during the breeding season.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote