The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fire Belly Newt Colour Supplements

This is a discussion on Fire Belly Newt Colour Supplements within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone used any carotene supplements and saw a noticeable difference in their colour? I ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: sammannell has started on the right path
Default Fire Belly Newt Colour Supplements

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone used any carotene supplements and saw a noticeable difference in their colour?

I was hoping to use one on half of my new baby newts once they are terrestrial and no longer eating daphnia and brine shrimp to see what difference it makes and also on some of my older newts to see if it brightens them up over time
(I feed them by tweezers and they jump up to grab it so will be easy to dust food)
They also love to eat Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets.

Sadly New Zealand doesn't have a lot of choices and no where stocks any of the supplements i've read about in posts on here so i'm trying to pick between the following:
Repashy superpig
Flukers Reptile Vitamin With Beta Carotene
Jurassi Vite

Any info would be super handy, thanks in advance :)

Old 19th December 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Fire Belly Newt Colour Supplements

I got quite good results by using crushed Hilari pellets to dust their worms, there are side by side comparison pictures with newts that received no suppliment in this thread.

New blood for my Cynops pyrrhogaster group

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sammannell has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
I got quite good results by using crushed Hilari pellets to dust their worms, there are side by side comparison pictures with newts that received no suppliment in this thread.

New blood for my Cynops pyrrhogaster group

Wow awesome pics! What a noticeable difference! My larger newts love the small hikari pellets and eat them whole, the little ones aren't too keen but I will definitely start dusting food with it after seeing your results!

Old 20th December 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Would you say adding supplements like that will give a better result than just supplementing with daphnia? I've raised orientalis and cyanurus from eggs on just blackworms and daphnia and they've turned out with pretty deep orange bellies. The I. a. apuanus juvies I just got recently have relatively pale bellies, but many pictures I've seen of this species seem to have paler bellies than Cynops and former Cynops, so it might just be that. Anyways, I've been trying to feed at least half a dozen daphnia to each individual every other day starting a week ago to see if that will deepen their belly color. I'd be interested in supplements if the daphnia doesn't work.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The problem with Daphnia is that the amount of carotene can vary due to multiple reasons, like the species, the strain and it's environment. I have my own culture in my pond. These seem to do the trick, but adding carotene powder guarantees a deeply red colour. You need a ridicuously small amount and there has never been a reported case of an "overdose".

I use a powder that's been on the market for birds of the brand Beaphar. Maybe you should check if you can find this at your place. Maybe under the category "intensive red" for birds. You should see the results within 2 weeks after the first you gave it to your animals.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

I cant find it at the moment but Paul B did a similar experiment to Chinadog and got a similar result, an almost red L. Laonesis.

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Can you induce any change in belly color during adulthood? Or is it just during larval and juvenile stages?

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

They'll colour up at any stage of their life if given the right food/supplement, even on a relatively low carotein diet they'll gradually get darker. My oldest captive bred pyrrhos are nearly four years old now and they've gone from pale yellow when they morphed, to a deep orange on a diet based mostly on earthworms.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly, beta carotene, carotene, colour, fire belly, newts, red belly, supplements

LinkBack