The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Newt ID/ confirmation?

This is a discussion on Newt ID/ confirmation? within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; A few months ago I was browsing a pet store and came across an interesting looking fire belly, so I ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By shnabo
  • 1 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has shown reliable knowledge
Default Newt ID/ confirmation?

A few months ago I was browsing a pet store and came across an interesting looking fire belly, so I brought it home. I was looking online to try to ID it but it is like no firebelly I have ever seen. A friend of mine happened to buy two of the same kind with less visible spots from the same store two weeks prior, so we are hoping to have a possible breeding group. There wasn't much info online or pictures to refer to, based on my research and some people I have spoken to I think it is H. Orphicus, I was wondering if anyone is working with these or could confirm? The spots don't turn out too well in pics, vary from dark to light from time to time. The chubby pic is current. It also has some white spots on its back kind of like a Japanese fire belly, some orange on the dorsal and orange on top of the 'elbows'. Any help is appreciated 🙏🙏
Attached Thumbnails
Newt ID/ confirmation?-img_9705.jpg   Newt ID/ confirmation?-img_9689.jpg   Newt ID/ confirmation?-img_9706.jpg  
shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Newt ID/ confirmation?

It looks a lot like H. orphicus indeed. Look at the spots on top of it's front legs on the other side of the armpits.
P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has shown reliable knowledge

I am curious if they are just colour morphs or have possibly already hybridized. I will post updates if there are any! Thank you for your help.
shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Jort has started on the right path

Beautiful animals! I've seen a couple of colour varieties with H. orientalis, but never this one. Had to google orphicus and they show a lot of similarities.
Jort is offline   Reply With Quote