The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Anyone able to identify the subspecies?

This is a discussion on Anyone able to identify the subspecies? within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I got some Japanese firebellies a while back and I am curious if anyone might knownthe subspecies, I wasn't able ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shnabo
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Anyone able to identify the subspecies?

I got some Japanese firebellies a while back and I am curious if anyone might knownthe subspecies, I wasn't able to find anything comparable online. They all seem to have blue eye covers, or they are all blind. They were from a research group at the University of Toronto being researched for their embryonic development.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-img_6161.jpg   Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-img_6144.jpg   Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-img_6150.jpg   Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-img_6147.jpg   Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-img_6114.jpg  

Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-img_6118.jpg  

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Anyone able to identify the subspecies?

It's impossible to say for sure. I have some sasayama that have similar belly patterns, but there's so much variation of markings and body shape, even within the same race, so it's not possible to be sure by their appearance alone.
Good luck with them, they look like they need some tlc!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Ya they were in a bare bottom with no plants and a turtle dock, they seemed healthy but were always trying to hide and didn't have many places to do so. I put a bunch of plants in when I got them home and they have been doing a lot better since. I was thinking the same about the variation just thought I would ask just in case, thank you for your help!

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Here's the one I was thinking of. He looks nothing like either of his parents, but the sasayama belly pattern often changes and becomes more intricate as the newts age.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-sam_1971.jpg   Anyone able to identify the subspecies?-sam_1963.jpg  

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack