The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How often do Japanese fire belly newts lay eggs?

This is a discussion on How often do Japanese fire belly newts lay eggs? within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; How often do Japanese fire belly newts lay eggs? Like how many per day? My boys have just started tail ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: sammannell has started on the right path
Default How often do Japanese fire belly newts lay eggs?

How often do Japanese fire belly newts lay eggs? Like how many per day? My boys have just started tail fanning.

Old 23rd May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: How often do Japanese fire belly newts lay eggs?

I've talked about this before with other keepers and the general consensus was given optimal conditions, a good quality diet and year round aquatic living, females acclimated to captivity will lay for longer periods than wild newts, but produce less eggs per day. Some years my females will lay from autumn right through to the the following July, especially the captive bred ones, so I guess it depends on the conditions and the individual animals you have.
As far as tail fanning goes, aquatic males seem to be capable of breeding at almost any time of year. They can start fanning after a water change or a sudden temp fluctuation and never seem to lose their breeding colours completely as wild newts do when terrestrial. I guess the main period for breeding in my particular group seems to be December, but there are so many factors that can affect captive groups there are no definitive answers.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack