The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cynops Orientalis/Cynops Pyrrhogaster Breeders?

This is a discussion on Cynops Orientalis/Cynops Pyrrhogaster Breeders? within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I've been very interested in getting Chinese or Japanese Firebelly newts for 2 or 3 years now and am just ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By paraselenic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BrooksiderB is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Cynops Orientalis/Cynops Pyrrhogaster Breeders?

I've been very interested in getting Chinese or Japanese Firebelly newts for 2 or 3 years now and am just now able to, but have found out with a bit of research that they are in the list of 201 import banned newts and salamanders in the US. I would still love to pick up 3 or 4 Fire Bellied Newts in my state without having to worry about the import ban, but I haven't been able to find any local breeders in Ohio or pet stores that sell them, so I thought I'd ask here.

BrooksiderB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: paraselenic has started on the right path
Default Re: Cynops Orientalis/Cynops Pyrrhogaster Breeders?

Hey Brooksider!

I'm brand new here-- and I came here with the exact same goal. I had firebelly newts back in 1991, and then went for awhile without them. I'd been looking for them on an off for the past 15 years (nothing serious, but just noted how hard they were to find.) When I had my son, I wanted to get some newts so that we could share that together. Which brought me here-- where I learned about how horrible firebelly newt collection/ treatment is, and how particularly difficult they are to captively breed-- meaning, not only are they hard to find, if you do find them, it's possibly a result of some shady and horrible treatment.

With that knowledge, I searched and found a reputable captive breeder of alpine newts and got a couple of those instead. They are very similar to firebellies, in color, tank set up, size, etc.

If you are open to it, I would recommend meeting with a breeder in ohio and seeing alpines up close-- I'm really happy with my pair.

Old 25th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Oh whoops, I'm sorry I just realized that the state line shipping ban was misinterpreted a while ago so if anyone breeds Fire Belly Newts reguardless of state let me know!

Old 26th May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraselenic View Post
I learned about how horrible firebelly newt collection/ treatment is, and how particularly difficult they are to captively breed-- meaning, not only are they hard to find, if you do find them, it's possibly a result of some shady and horrible treatment.

With that knowledge, I searched and found a reputable captive breeder of alpine newts and got a couple of those instead. They are very similar to firebellies, in color, tank set up, size, etc.

If you are open to it, I would recommend meeting with a breeder in ohio and seeing alpines up close-- I'm really happy with my pair.
Aww man thats really sad. Fire Belly Newts are basically my dream pet so I'd prefer to have them over another species of newt, but if I end up not being able to find any I'll definitely look into some other species.

Old 26th May 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I should really be moving this thread to the wanted area as it's basically a wanted add. I'm not though, because paraselemic's good advice will be helpful to anyone new to the hobby and looking for firebellys.
In future please keep all adverts in the trade area!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksiderB View Post
Aww man thats really sad. Fire Belly Newts are basically my dream pet so I'd prefer to have them over another species of newt, but if I end up not being able to find any I'll definitely look into some other species.
The animals that have been kept in bad conditions were the animals directly imported from overseas. Those animals were often shipped in subpar conditions and were distributed to petshops that don't know anything about keeping newts. So you'll often get animals that are sick, and even if you nurse them back to health, you would've been supporting an unhealthy industry. However, with the ban on overseas import, you're not gonna find Fire Belly Newts in petshops anymore, so that's not an issue. If you can find a captive breeder that knows what he/she is doing, then you should have no problems. I'm not sure what the status of the interstate transport ban is currently so you might still not be able to find someone willing to risk shipping over state lines just yet. But transporting eggs interstate was never banned, so that's an option if you're up to raise the larvae.

In any case, alpine newts are awesome, easy to take care of just like the firebellies, so that's a great option if you have access to them. I have a small group of young alpines myself, and they're absolutely beautiful newts. I just don't want to discourage you from going for firebellies if you can get them. As long as you're getting them from a good captive breeder, you should be set.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeders, cynops, cynops orientalis, cynops pyrrhogaster, fire belly newt, newt, ohio

LinkBack