The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations?

This is a discussion on Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations? within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi all! I joined this site about a week ago in my search for good information on fire belly newt ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Cheshiresbreak
  • 2 Post By newtlord
  • 1 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cheshiresbreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations?

Hi all!

I joined this site about a week ago in my search for good information on fire belly newt care and habitat, since then I've gotten a lot of amazing information that's helped me and my partner begin to create what we hope to be a home for some future newts!

Here's a quick run down to what its like:

-a reptofilter decorative filter that's suppose to minimize current created while still being able to filter the water

-a lot of climbing ground for them and flat surfaces for them to rest on

-small wadding pool like area on the back corner where the slope is, for them to have a good hidden place to relax

-live plants to try and give them natural shelter

-about a half inch to an inch in some places of river pebbles to provide a non jagged tank bottom for their sensitive feet and bellies (these pebbles cover our gravel and plant substrate layers we used to try and keep the plants well buried and help create a natural slope)

-it's against a wall that doesn't get direct sunlight but the room has windows that provide plenty well lit space

-since these pictures we have added a thermometer to monitor the water temperature

I have tried to attatch some images of the tank itself so you guys might see what I'm talking about. I would love some feedback on the tank and any suggestions to make it better before we start trying to find some fire belly newts to put in there!
Attached Thumbnails
Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations?-mms_20170902_121009.jpg   Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations?-img_20170902_121240_902.jpg  

Cheshiresbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: newtlord has started on the right path
Default Re: Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations?

Hey :) it looks really nice! I really like the diversity in your tank.
be sure to check for spots in your decoration where your newts can be stuck or even drown from not getting to the surface again. Also, you could add some plants like Ceratophyllum or Elodea so the newts can rest below the water surface, as adult cynops sometimes do not leave the water.
Cheers :)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I would fill the tank almost to the top and add loads more plants. Once settled in most Cynops will spend nearly all their time moving around in the plants or resting in them just below the surface.
Land areas for Firebellies are usually a waste of time as they almost never leave the water in captivity. A small cork float is all mine have, but I've never seen them use it.
Here is a recent thread on Cynops tanks.

Fire Belly Newt tank

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Ill definitely begin to fill the tank up more with plants soon, we were trying to make sure the ones we have will grown before spending money on any others. The suggested plant species will help a lot with the search for more plants! We also have been looking at the tank quite often to make sure we haven't missed any spots that the newts could get stuck in and adding more river pebbles as we go so hopefully we haven't missed anything!

Old 3 Days Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Just wanted to update you who helped on the tank,

We had some success and some failure with the plants we bought originally, about 3 out of the 5 have survived and are doing well but now we have also bought some more plants as suggested!

Changing the water level was a challenge since we had to completely dig up and re bury the decorative filter in the corner but i have to say it was quite an improvement! Plus it give our taller plants more room to grow out.

The whole through the other decoration was filled up in the process of increasing the incline for the filter, so its no longer there and I've put the java moss in the space just to make sure the rocks don't fall through.

All in all i think this is a great improvement and i couldn't have done it without your suggestions, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cynops tank setup evaluation and recommendations?-21931763_1602916693086691_1979853748_o.jpg  

Tags
cynops, cynops tank, fire belly newts, fire belly newts tank, suggestions

LinkBack