The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Missing newt :(

This is a discussion on Missing newt :( within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hey guys I've just realised one of my newts is missing (my favourite one too sadly) I've been so busy ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MnGuy
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: sammannell has started on the right path
Default Missing newt :(

Hey guys I've just realised one of my newts is missing (my favourite one too sadly)

I've been so busy with the baby newts and baby leopard geckos recently and haven't done a proper count up of my newts in probably 2-3 weeks and only just noticed he was missing when feeding them last night I feel like such a horrible person.

I'm not sure if he would of escaped because he is the only newt who wouldn't climb or venture out of the water at all. The only other thing I can think of is everyone else ate him? They are all well fed. Would the other newts do this? Possibly he passed away first? It's driving me crazy not knowing what happened to my little guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Missing newt :(-img_4468.jpg   Missing newt :(-img_7135.jpg  

Old 1 Week Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Missing newt :(

Sorry to hear that. Chances are that he climbed out. Had he passed away and was eaten, or, was eaten alive, you would've seen something.

I know how it feels; my female alpine newt climbed out of one of two holes in my screen lid that I forgot to cover back up. Fortunately, I found her on the floor the morning after and she recovered.

I don't want to sound preachy, but a cover is mandatory with newts. It doesn't matter how rarely they appear to climb; one day they will.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

If she might still be alive, leave a wet towel around the tank, or maybe a couple in the room. I think they can smell water. It certainly might attract it.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge

I agree with Otter woman. The wet towel trick works for escaped snakes, it ought to work for newts as well. An escaped amphibian will, by necessity, seek out moisture quickly.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack