The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Paedomorphic C. ensicauda

This is a discussion on Paedomorphic C. ensicauda within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2004   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2004   #2 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The gills are very small-morphing finally?

Old 9th July 2004   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I don't think so as the gills have been around the same size for months and months. Let me rephrase that...I hope not! Click the image to open in full size.

Compare with this shot from March:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/13676.jpg

In a month, it'll be a year old!

(Message edited by TJ on July 09, 2004)

Old 9th July 2004   #4 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

though i highly doubt it, you might have a paedomorph on youre hands tim.

Old 11th July 2004   #5 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm with Tim - I don't think it's metamorphosing because the head shape shows no sign of becoming like pre-metamorph shape.

Old 15th July 2004   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks for the moral support John Click the image to open in full size.

I said before that it might have hit 10cm by now but it still seems a tad short of the mark. I'd guess 9.5cm if it's lined up perfectly straight. The next round of beer is on me once it hits 10cm!

Old 2nd September 2004   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here it is as of today, and I'll bet it's at 10cm Click the image to open in full size.

Old 4th September 2004   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here it is again:

Old 9th September 2004   #9 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

has it morphed yet?cuz if it really is a paedomorph it would be cool to figure out it is is facultative or genetic(obligate)if its and obligate you migth be able to breed it and possibly start youre own strain of paedomorphic animals.

Old 9th September 2004   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

That pic above that was posted on Sept. 4 was taken on Sept. 4 so no worries on that score.

I'd love to have my own strain: Cynops ensicauda popei timi Click the image to open in full size.

Old 9th September 2004   #11 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is it just me, or do the gills look a little stubbier?

Old 10th September 2004   #12 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The gills do look shorter, but it could be the angle. Then again, looking at that face, it still looks very larval like.

Old 10th September 2004   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Somebody said something before about the gills looking shorter -- and that was over 6 months ago! No, I don't think it's on the verge of morphing any time soon, if ever.

Old 7th November 2004   #14 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hey tim jsut checking up on the larva that never morphed, did it ever morph?

Old 7th November 2004   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Nope Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th November 2004   #16 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

How's it doing?

Old 7th November 2004   #17 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

We need to know when/if it enters breeding condition.

It looks to be the size of an average C. o now?

Old 7th November 2004   #18 (permalink)
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hehe, an average orientalis is like what? 8cm?
This guy was 10cm two months ago!
Cheers Tim!

Spit out some pics of it now!Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th November 2004   #19 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'ld say the average male was 8 cm and the average female was 10cm, but of coarse there are large males and small females.

Old 8th November 2004   #20 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

well i think its safe to say that you have youre own strain tim, well atleast untill it breeds. Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
ensicauda, paedomorphic

LinkBack