The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding season is on the roll

This is a discussion on Breeding season is on the roll within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I spotted one egg today. Its finally happening! Can't wait to give it another shot, hopefully I found most of ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2005   #1 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

I spotted one egg today. Its finally happening! Can't wait to give it another shot, hopefully I found most of the possible mistakes last year.

Old 12th October 2005   #2 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow, you got me beat, Joseph. My C. pyrrhogaster are getting breeding color, and my T. marmoratus have headed into the water and started to court. No eggs yet, though.

Old 13th October 2005   #3 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My cyanurus are still laying eggs from a couple of months ago and the males are still colored up.

Ed

Old 13th October 2005   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

How're the eggs coming, Joseph? Click the image to open in full size.

I'm hoping for a windfall from my cyanurus. Check out this shapely female:
Click the image to open in full size.

Just went out and bought a slew of Egeria densa for them.

(Message edited by TJ on October 13, 2005)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2005   #5 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hopefully your males are attracted to larger females, Tim Click the image to open in full size..

Old 15th October 2005   #6 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Their are now maybe three eggs...so they are starting to get a hang of it. I'm hoping they don't get in the habit of eating them which I think might be happening as I've seen them mouthing the plants on the occasion. I'll have to look in the archives but I think they started one month later than last year.

Ed: Is your cyanurus colony producing year round?

Tim: That indeed is a very plump female...better get ready! Click the image to open in full size. I've never seen any of mine use the Egeria densa before(if they did I would have unlimited egg laying spots for them).

Old 23rd October 2005   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

How about an update, Joseph? Also, is that C. orientalis or C. cyanurus in that first pic?

If I get more eggs from my C. cyanurus, I'll definitely be moving them out of the tank as soon as they're discovered as these newts are very good egg hunters in my experience!

Another female is now as plump as that in the photo I posted above. I added some more plants and will add plastic strips this evening. Where did yours lay?

Joan, yep, I hope they prefer some meat on the bones! Click the image to open in full size.

Old 23rd October 2005   #8 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim: Those are C. orientalis...2 of my group of 4. The male is usually a light coffee color. I currently have maybe 5 eggs 2 of which I have removed...it is plainly obvious someone in here has learned about newt caviar as a few I was planning on removing dissapeared.

My newts prefer the leaves of small java ferns to lay eggs on. If you get yours to lay on plastic strips I'll have to try to convince mine to also.

Old 13th November 2005   #9 (permalink)
josh

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Have the eggs hatched yet?

Old 15th November 2005   #10 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I've now got maybe 5 larvae hanging around and eating microworms and whatever they are finding in the container.

Old 15th November 2005   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Joseph, congrats on the eggs! I've generally been removing my C. cyanurus eggs as I come across them, though I spotted several more in the tank this morning and had no time to "rescue" them Click the image to open in full size..

I did get one egg on a small piece of plastic strip, but as I can find no plastic strips in the adult C. cyanurus tank, I am a bit suspicious. This is because there <u>are</u> plastic strips in a C. pyrrhogaster sasayamae tank from which I transferred some Egeria densa into the C. cyanurus tank....

Tags
breeding, roll, season

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 6 (Set)

Azhael, fishkeeper, Jari B, oskare, Peter7474, stanleyc
LinkBack