The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cynops orientalis setup

This is a discussion on Cynops orientalis setup within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi everyone. Just got 4 C. Orientalis the other day and thought I'd take a few pics and see what ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2005   #1 (permalink)
jon

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi everyone.
Just got 4 C. Orientalis the other day and thought I'd take a few pics and see what you all think about my setup. Don't know what I should do next with it. Any Opinions would be great. It's a 15 gallon tank btw.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th January 2005   #2 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice setup. I would add some more plants though. Try to make the vegetation very thick. One other thing - sphagnum moss is very acidic, so its probably not a good idea to use it in the setup. Either use some moss from a garden/park where chemicals are not used etc. if you can get it, or put some cork-bark/stone hides on top of the rock.
Good luck with them
Chris

Old 11th January 2005   #3 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looks awesome, I really like that first pic.

Old 11th January 2005   #4 (permalink)
jon

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks Chris, I just took out the sphagnum moss. That moss was actually potted with a venus flytrap i decided to put in there. Maybe I'll see if i can use another moss for it to put back in. Unless you guys think its not a good idea to have that in there. As for the addition of plants, I'd like to add some small lily pads or something as well as other plants, any suggestions as to what types are good for this setup? I've been looking around and found Dwarf Lilies, they grow up 3 inches in diameter or so, so thats not too bad. Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 13th May 2005   #5 (permalink)
corey

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This is a great set-up, very nice for your newts. Is that a rock under the moss? I'm sure your newts are quite comfortable.

Old 13th May 2005   #6 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Dwarf lilies(assuming you are referring to Nymphaea stellata) aren't exactly dwarf and can get quite large. They would need high lighting and rich substrate to grow well-but would survive for a while in low light.

Just me, but the gravel doesn't seem to match the rest of the setup.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on May 13, 2005)

Old 13th May 2005   #7 (permalink)
william

Gallery Images:
Comments:

you could put a hiding space on the land...

Old 13th May 2005   #8 (permalink)
lindsay

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Also about the "rock"... is that a rock under the moss? When I saw the setup, the first thing I thought was "ooooo I want a thing like that!" referring the the "rock". Is it a rock? Did you buy it or find it? Do tell!!

~lindsay

Old 13th May 2005   #9 (permalink)
jon

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow I haven't checked this section in a while I guess. Yes that is a flat rock underneath the moss on the right. I actually no longer have that setup anymore since I moved.. But when I did have it the moss began growing some sort of plant with little white flowers. Not sure if it was part of the moss or just another plant that took off. I know the gravel didn't really match the rest of the tank.. But it was what I had at the time. I plan on my next setup to be a bit more natural looking than this one. Possibly with a sand substrate? I'm undecided at the moment on that..

Tags
cynops, orientalis, setup

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 7th September 2017, 11:16 (Set) (Clear)

Ishigame
LinkBack