The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

C. cyanurus larvae

This is a discussion on C. cyanurus larvae within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I'm not sure what to make of the center of the eye being white like this. I don't recall that ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2004   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not sure what to make of the center of the eye being white like this.
I don't recall that being the case with C. orientalis or other Cynops species.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004   #2 (permalink)
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looks like a bit like Triturus cristatus/marmoratus larvae after hatching...the also have these striped patterns.
I saw some older larvae of cyanurus bred by Harry Dresens and they were very light coloured. Strange creatures...

Old 26th October 2004   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dot has started on the right path

Congrats on the new baby!

dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks Dot!

Strange indeed, Serg, even now.

It looks like a little bumblebee:

Old 26th October 2004   #5 (permalink)
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Beautifull ...

Old 27th October 2004   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here's a ventral view of the same, taken today:

Old 27th October 2004   #7 (permalink)
paul

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Fantastic pics, Tim!
Congrats to your cyanurus breeding!
Did you measure its length?

Paul

Old 27th October 2004   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanks!

When I measured it yesterday, it was 0.7 cm long.

Here it is again today:

Old 27th October 2004   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Old 27th October 2004   #10 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Is it eating yet, it looks like it has two little fins, I read about young larvae having tiny fins called stabilizers that let them rest on the ground. They eventually dissapear and are replaced by front legs. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 28th October 2004   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Yeah, but they're called "balancers" as far as I know.

For a description, see: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/13357.html

Here is a Hynobius dunni larvae showing the balancers:

To my recollection, Cynops larvae don't have them, though Tylototriton larvae do. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th October 2004   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

On second thought, maybe they do. I see what looks like a balancer protruding from the area between the eye and the gill in the first pic at the top of this thread...

By the way, does anybody happen have this paper? If so, I'd appreciate being sent a copy...

Crawford, A. J., and D. B. Wake. 1998. Phylogenetic and evolutionary perspectives on an enigmatic organ: the balancer of larval caudate amphibians. Zoology 101:107-123.

Benjamin, I don't know if it is eating yet as I'm raising it in tank crud (or "muck" if you prefer), the same way I raised by Taricha larvae, as there are lots of tiny organisms in there to feed on. I just put in a clear case temporarily for the photo. It's a bit hard to observe in its regular container.

Old 28th October 2004   #13 (permalink)
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My Cynops orientalis larvae have balancers.

Old 29th October 2004   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Nice to know, Jesper. Funny I hadn't noticed before.

Anyway, here is the cyanurus larvae today:

Also notice how the white dot (and it doesn't seem to have been a reflection of light) has disappeared from the center of the eye Click the image to open in full size.

Old 3rd November 2004   #15 (permalink)
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Turned out my balancers were the beginning of frontlegsClick the image to open in full size. Thought they were a little to far back....but still, they were born with their frontlegs then...not fully developed though.
Larvae noob...

Old 3rd November 2004   #16 (permalink)
henk

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well tim regarding reflections in the eye sometimes you can encounter stunnig effects as a consequence . Hee's a shot I made of a sea-fish in an aquarium , look at his eyes (sorry guys, it has no legs...)
http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/s...500&page=1

Old 12th November 2004   #17 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Nice, Henk. But I am not entirely certain that was a reflection...

Well, don't ask me what happened to that last larvae. Lets just say I learned a lesson.

Anyway, reinforcements are on the way!

Old 12th November 2004   #18 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Larvae can use their balancers to stick to anything (glass, plants, plastic, you name it). Generally they use them when they first escape the egg jelly in order to hang hidden on plants while they finish the yolk in their stomachs - the balancers then shrink and disappear.

Old 10th December 2004   #19 (permalink)
garrison

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hope it's no problem bringing up an old subject, but how are your C. cyanurus larvae doing Tim?

Tags
cyanurus, larvae

LinkBack