The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cynops orientalis clutch size

This is a discussion on Cynops orientalis clutch size within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I'd like to hear from anyone who has bred Cynops orientalis and hear how many eggs were laid. I have ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2001   #1 (permalink)
nimbus2

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'd like to hear from anyone who has bred Cynops orientalis and hear how many eggs were laid. I have yet to have a clutch larger than 40.

Old 22nd April 2001   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ralf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I bred cynops orientalis. Since there are 7 females in my tank I dont keep track of individual egg-numbers though. The animals do not reproduce each year, however.
Bachhausen reported 120 eggs (April-June) by one female:

BACHHAUSEN, P., 1988: Der Chinesische Zwergmolch-ein dankbarer Pflegling für vollaquatische Urodelenhaltung
elaphe 6 (1998) Heft 1 pp 13-16

Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2001   #3 (permalink)
nimbus2

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the input Ralf. Since posting that message, she's gone on to lay approximately 65-85 eggs total. I also have another female who began to lay afterward so the numbers are no longer exact.

Old 23rd May 2002   #4 (permalink)
richard

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My orientalis breeding pair produce about 12 eggs a year-this year 8 hatched to fruition. I have enough newts now and let them eat surplus eggs. They lay on plastic plants that I separate. I understand that if you have more than one male to a female you get more eggs but I have no experience of this. Does any one try to induce more than one breeding season a year?

Tags
clutch, cynops, orientalis, size

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 19th October 2017, 16:02 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack