The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fire belly toads with fire belly newts

This is a discussion on Fire belly toads with fire belly newts within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Can this be possible? I added the two newts to the tank with the toads. All the animals are the ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2002   #1 (permalink)
subie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can this be possible?

I added the two newts to the tank with the toads. All the animals are the same length (not including the newts tales). After a few hours they all seemed happy together climbing and jumping around very close to each other.

About 3 hours after I added them to the tank. I feed the toads and newts pinheads and worms. One newt ate a worm Click the image to open in full size. and the other was hanging around on the wall so he missed out on the fun. The one decides to come of the wall. This is when the bad happened. One of the toads struck and got the newt in it's mouth head first. It went do to the newts front legs. I took the newt by the rear section and pulled him out of the toads mouth. The newt seems ok and swam to the shore to hide in a cave. He hasn't come out and the toads don't get close.

Did it strike because it looked similar to the worms it ate before or should I seperate them immediatly?

Thanks!

Old 16th May 2002   #2 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Seperate them immediately. It will happen again and again. Toads are serious carnivores, and as they become tamer and conditioned to eating in captivity, they'll strike at anything moving. They simply can't help it.

Go to www.caudata.org/caudatecentral and read the species mixing disasters article, and you'll see plenty more stories along the lines of yours. Many toads swallow the newt down, and then the newt's toxins kill the toad as well.

Tags
belly, fire, newts, toads

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 16 (Set)

albear28, Autumncrossing, AxolotlboyxD, bewilderness, Bighoss, Feena, Hunter82, jasper408, markcorpus, markinco, Newtmommy, SetanaZen, Shadow, Sith the turtle, ThoseNewtsTho, underzealous
LinkBack