The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

This is a discussion on Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Anyone know if it is possible outside the breeding season? Here are some photos of two animals. First a questionable ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2009   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

Anyone know if it is possible outside the breeding season?

Here are some photos of two animals. First a questionable one, followed by a known male.
Click the image to open in full size.
Male

I have my suspicions the first could be a female...but here slightly swollen cloaca has me wondering.

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ralf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.orgRalf is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

The tail of the animal in the first two pictures seems to be longer than the trunk. If that is the case I'd vote "female". The tail of males is usually shorter (roughly the length of the trunk) and also "higher". The typical "sword"-shape so to say (therefore the trivial name "sword-tailed newt"). Not the shape of a Japanese sword though (katana), but rather that of a double-edged sword a medieval European knight would've been toting.

Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: AW: Sexing Cynops ensicauda popei

Can I assume correctly that only males exhibit swollen cloaca and papillae during breeding season? If so it appears I have the bad luck of having 4 males.(and one animal still terrestrial). Anyone have any extra females? It is somewhat sad to watch them courting each other.

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cynops, ensicauda, popei, sexing

LinkBack