The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae

This is a discussion on Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Here are some recent photographic captivations! Some of these guys have the gold dust visible already. Half of these guys ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae

Here are some recent photographic captivations! Some of these guys have the gold dust visible already. Half of these guys morphed and some stayed aquatic. Its fruit flies for the terrestrial morphs and the aquatic morphs eat with the ones that haven't morphed yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae-img_2307.jpg   Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae-img_2301.jpg   Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae-img_2285.jpg   Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae-img_2293.jpg   Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae-img_2289.jpg  

Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae-img_2290.jpg  

Old 9th September 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cynops Ensicauda Popei Larvae

Awesome job. How many offspring do you have???

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have 10 of them. These guys are double the size of Cynops Orientalis at morph. I'll post future pics when they all are done morphing.

Old 10th September 2009   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Good work, Jaymes. Getting them to morph that large is a big plus. And I'll bet it's the larger ones that are staying aquatic.

Old 10th September 2009   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes! Your right Jen, the bigger ones are staying aquatic and still eating like crazy! Jen, how long is the eft stage for this species in particular?

Old 11th September 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: End has shown reliable knowledgeEnd has shown reliable knowledge

congrats they are wonderful newts, great pics too

End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: fabri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to everybody!
What kind of food I have to use for cynops ensicauda popei's larvae. I have twenty eggs and I want to be ready for the hatching!!

Old 9th March 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabri View Post
Hi to everybody!
What kind of food I have to use for cynops ensicauda popei's larvae. I have twenty eggs and I want to be ready for the hatching!!
Sorry for the delayed response. I used BBS/baby brine shrimp. I do remember using daphnia I obtained from vernal ponds. There prime food source has hatchlings were BBS. Later on when they were big enough they had chopped blackworms then full blackwoms.

If you go with BBS/baby brine shrimp try using the shell-less ones. I'm not sure about the availability of shell-less brine shrimp eggs but they've been the best thing ever as far as BBS.

heres a link to the shell less brine shrimp. 'shell less brne shrimp eggs' Search Results

Old 9th March 2012   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotenic_Jaymes View Post
Yes! Your right Jen, the bigger ones are staying aquatic and still eating like crazy! Jen, how long is the eft stage for this species in particular?
I have some going on two years old that are still in the eft stage. Their aquatic siblings are twice the size and have bred once so far.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
I have some going on two years old that are still in the eft stage. Their aquatic siblings are twice the size and have bred once so far.
Have you noticed any changes in coloration? Read that fully aquatic ones don't develop coloring as well as their slower brethren.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cynops, ensicauda, larvae, popei

LinkBack