The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My first C. pyrrhogaster offspring so far

This is a discussion on My first C. pyrrhogaster offspring so far within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi Molch, I put them on damp paper towels for the first few days and then they lived in shallow ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2012   #61 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: My first C. pyrrhogaster offspring so far

Hi Molch,
I put them on damp paper towels for the first few days and then they lived in shallow semi-aquatic tanks (boxes), with about 2cm water with some plants and lots of islands. I like this kind of set up for little newts because you don't have to worry about them drying out and it's also easy to keep clean. Terracotta saucers are really good for this. They had no substrate. They weren't scared of the water but generally only used it to get from (land) A to (land) B. I'm not sure if it helped them go aquatic quicker. When kept like this, I was feeding them on land from jar lids lined with wet tissue. They got mainly chopped earthworms but could also be trained to eat defrosted bloodworms. Lesser wax worms are also quite handy for this size of animals if you can get some.

I got a bit impatient with the last couple of terrestrial newtlets and forced them into water by removing land altogether, leaving only places where they could be partially submerged and lots of hornwort. I kept the water level low and gradually raised it when I saw that they were comfortable. It took between 1 - 3 days for the newts to start hunting under water. They didn't seem stressed by this. I would probably try to raise them like this from the start next time.

Good luck with yours, hope we'll see some pictures soon!

evut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016   #62 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: sammannell has started on the right path
Default Re: My first C. pyrrhogaster offspring so far

Wow Eva these are such amazing photos I am in love with your newts!!
Super cool seeing the colour difference when fed ostracods vs brine shrimp!

LinkBack