The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding Success

This is a discussion on Breeding Success within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi I have kept FB Newts for 5 years now, 3 females and 2 males in a large setup. I ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: wargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and information
Default Breeding Success

Hi

I have kept FB Newts for 5 years now, 3 females and 2 males in a large setup.
I have never had much luck with the youngsters, up to this year only 3 had made it to adulthood, however every year I have learned more.
This year I have 41 mophed youngsters, all eating and thriving. I left them in the large tank for up to a week after they have hauled themselves out onto the cork islands. I then transfer them to smaller 7.5lt tanks (10 to a tank) with only 2" of water, sponge filtration, and some natural weed that alows them to rest on the suface but not haul out. I plan to leave them in these setups, gradually increasing the water depth as they grow.
They are eating live blood worm and daphnia, all look healthy and are growing.

Dave

wargar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Alley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Breeding Success

Congratulations on the successful breeding.

Old 4th September 2011   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Good work!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: wargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and information

A couple of pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dave

Old 8th September 2011   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That's brilliant - well done. What size did your animals metamorphose at?

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

They were all about the inch mark when they morphed. Then I moved them to shallow setups like this.

They are now all about the 1 and a half inch mark and growing fast.

Dave

LinkBack