The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Helps identify my Chinese newts

This is a discussion on Helps identify my Chinese newts within the Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; hola amigos, primero quería disculparme por mi traductor comprensiblilidad texto ya que el uso .. y en segundo lugar yo ...

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mortenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Identify genus and species

hola amigos, primero quería disculparme por mi traductor comprensiblilidad texto ya que el uso .. y en segundo lugar yo quería dejar algunas fotos de mis tritones de los podais ver y decir como se les llama. He tratado sin éxito de identificar en otro foro y que estaba dirigida a esta página web. Me dijeron que este lugar recibiría posiblemente mejor información. Espero que me entiendan y vean e identifiquen podais mis tritones porque soy muy curioso saber su identificación. gracias

mortenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Exclamation Helps identify my Chinese newts

hello friends, first wanted to apologize for my text comprensiblilidad translator since use .. and secondly I wanted to leave you some pictures of my newts for the podais see and say as they are called. I have tried without success to identify them in another forum and I was directed to this website. I was told that this place would receive possibly better information. I hope they understand me and see and identify podais my newts because I'm very curious to know their identification. thanks

Old 15th March 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Helps identify my Chinese newts

Hello.

Welcome to the group.
Could you add a picture or a link to a picture so we can see

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

PleaseAttachment 36232Attachment 36233Attachment 36234Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394881876765.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394881929806.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394881963806.jpg

enviado desde mi dispositivo usando patatalk

Old 15th March 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394882522606.jpg   Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394882548526.jpg   Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394882571019.jpg   Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394882591463.jpg  

Old 15th March 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hello I am trying to put pictures from and can not. with Tapatalk not get it. give me a little time and patience to get this resolve. thanks

Last edited by Azhael; 15th March 2014 at 13:10.
Old 15th March 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

The pictures work fine! As for the newts, they look like Hypselotriton orientalis. They have the unusual mottled colouration but I'm pretty certain that's what they are. At first glance they looked a bit like H. cyanurus but they always seem to have an orange spot behind their eye whereas yours don't. Maybe somebody more experienced with Hypselotriton will confirm what I think.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

That´s essentially what i told him. There are some somewhat confusing traits like dorsal lines, spots and a belly that looks slightly unusual, but H.orientalis seems like the most likely ID. In some of the other pictures i´ve seen they look more orientalis than they do in this, particularly the males.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Henry Janssen has given good advice and informationHenry Janssen has given good advice and informationHenry Janssen has given good advice and information

On several occasions I have noticed that H. orientalis are capable of adjusting their body color to their surroundings to some degree. Some individuals more so than others. The white sand that is used as substrate by Mortenson may be the cause for the unusual light coloring of his H. orientalis. Keeping them in darker colored surroundings reverses the proces within an hour or so. My guess is that they would look like normal H. orientalis after that.

Henry Janssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Asianherps has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
The pictures work fine! As for the newts, they look like Hypselotriton orientalis. They have the unusual mottled colouration but I'm pretty certain that's what they are. At first glance they looked a bit like H. cyanurus but they always seem to have an orange spot behind their eye whereas yours don't. Maybe somebody more experienced with Hypselotriton will confirm what I think.
I would say Cynops cyanurus, not C. orientalis

Asianherps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

This is a variant I've seen in small numbers among W/C H.orientalis, and managed to scoop a few from among hundreds of imports. They often resemble H.fudingensis, so I remain unsure of a final ID, but treat them as an interesting variant of orientalis for the moment.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianherps View Post
I'm pretty sure all H. cyanurus always have a orange/red spot behind the eyes which these newts do not?

Old 15th March 2014   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
No cheek spots which are visible in cyanurus.

Old 16th March 2014   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

I leave some of my photo more bugs and I appreciate your help to identify them. also apologize for the repeated photos.Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954473375.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954494348.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954533151.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954548271.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954590384.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954622569.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1394954667291.jpg

Old 16th March 2014   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Over on CC there is a photo on the H. orientalis care sheet with all the known colour variants, some of those animals are identical to these.

Old 16th March 2014   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

chinadog thanks. I find it a bit difficult to understand the translations and also am not familiar with some terms. what you mean by cc?

Last edited by Azhael; 16th March 2014 at 12:32.
Old 16th March 2014   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

CC is the initials for Caudata Culture :- Caudata Culture Home Page

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

ok thanks again for the help .. I've been looking at photos of hypselotriton orientalis caudata culture and do not see the same as mine ... I put more photos.Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051683758.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051713528.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051733962.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051751268.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051775644.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051792348.jpg

Old 17th March 2014   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

I made the photos without the flash on.Helps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051972895.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395051988413.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395052006449.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395052023747.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395052039250.jpgHelps identify my Chinese newts-uploadfromtaptalk1395052054309.jpg

Old 17th March 2014   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hello friends do not know what happens to my comments and pictures ... three hours ago I have left the top 11 latest photos and do not see them published ... when I check the post also see any comments of mine works well edited ... web? there a problem?

LinkBack