The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

"Russian" Fire Salamanders

This is a discussion on "Russian" Fire Salamanders within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Yes ,my friend bought fire salamanders in Ukrain...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2015   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Annka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Russian" Fire Salamanders

Yes ,my friend bought fire salamanders in Ukrain

Annka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2016   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Manderkeeper did you manage to track down a locality for these animals?
Annka I would be very interested in hearing any information about the Ukrainian salamanders.
Thank you.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

I don't know exactly where they were collected, they were exported to USA then sent to a dealer from which I got them, so too far removed. I still have a few pairs but I am banned from shipping them outside my state at the moment.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thank you for your reply manderkeeper. Would it be possible to see a couple of pictures of them as I'm keen to compare them with mine?

Old 22nd October 2016   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

Had a search, there is evidence of S. s. s. around Kaliningrad although the debate is whether the sightings were of escapees.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile...1b61000000.pdf

Old 26th October 2016   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

Sure, I've got photos Ill dig up in the next few days

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017   #27 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just a heads up manderkeeper - the interstate ban is no longer valid.

Salamandra s. salamandra was exported in large numbers for many years from the Ukraine. I believe it was Professor Kuzmin on Caudata who first mentioned the real source but I may be remembering who it was incorrectly. But Ukraine was (is?) the main source of Salamandra s. salamandra in the USA. I actually have an adult pair that were CB offspring of such animals. I would imagine that many US people blurred Ukraine with Russia, hence the Russian thing.

LinkBack