The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Heating for salamandra enclosure?

This is a discussion on Heating for salamandra enclosure? within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; How would I heat my salamandra terreteris outdoor enclosure when it gets below 0c? Btw I have an outdoor power ...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bellabelloo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nuclear Herps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heating for salamandra enclosure?

How would I heat my salamandra terreteris outdoor enclosure when it gets below 0c? Btw I have an outdoor power sorce but its a good 15ft from the location of enclosure

Nuclear Herps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Heating for salamandra enclosure?

I don't think you will need it as long as they have somewhere reasonably deep, underground to go to. I have kept mine outdoors all year round for a few years now, around Autumn time I add a deep layer of leaves inside their enclosure and also around their enclosure. However, if we ever get a particularly harsh winter, I would remove them and bring them into a cool room indoors.

This is a link to my enclosure :- Introducing my Salamandra s terrestris

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Heating for salamandra enclosure?

I agree with Julia totally. I keep terrestris and fastuosa in an outside enclosure. No heating provided. As Julia says, allow the animals to get underground away from the surface. Mine have little cavities made with small logs and thick bark overlaid with ten inches of responsibly sourced leaf mould over which a thick layer of semi decomposed oak, beech and sweet chestnut leaves are placed. Terrestris certainly is active even at 7C as can be seen when they come to the surface whereas my fastuosa seems to prefer it a little milder. If I expect a very heavy frost or snow, I place a folded hessian sack over the lid just in case. My big concern would be rapid swings in temperatures if the enclosure rceived a lot of sun light as a -6C night could easily become +something very quickly and I'd not want my animals dormant one moment and active a few hours later only to be faced with another cold night.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack