The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Salamandra salamandra

This is a discussion on Salamandra salamandra within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I purchased two Salamandra salamandra. Here are some pics of them and their vivarium...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By AdvythAF
  • 1 Post By schmiggle
  • 1 Post By Blackbun
  • 1 Post By Blackbun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2016   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Default Salamandra salamandra

I purchased two Salamandra salamandra. Here are some pics of them and their vivarium
Attached Thumbnails
Salamandra salamandra-p1010994.jpg   Salamandra salamandra-p1010976.jpg   Salamandra salamandra-p1010989.jpg   Salamandra salamandra-12575897_220898268242735_1386485724_n.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: schmiggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salamandra salamandra

I love that picture of the salamander up against the glass! One of mine is very, very aggressive, and so whenever I walk by it immediately goes to the side of the terrarium and occasionally walks up so high that it topples over sideways.

schmiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

I always like seeing a natural landscaped terrarium. Pleasing on the eye and no doubt a bit of enrichment for your salamanders too DdvythAF.
Schmiggle I wish my lot were a bit more outgoing....I rarely see them at all.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information

Thanks guys

Old 25th January 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MasSalvaje has started on the right path

I love the setup! Let me know if you are ever in Utah, I will hire you to design some setups for me. I could also show you a few herping spots. Again, excellent job!

-Thomas

MasSalvaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: schmiggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Blackbun, one of mine is very, very shy, I think it's just basically a personality thing. I just make sure to set up the tank so that each one has a hide that faces out, so at least when they hide, I can still see a lump. :)

schmiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thanks for that Schmiggle. The shyest animals I have are all fastuosas. I bought these as adults so rather than a subspecies thing it could be due to rearing and conditioning. Some days I never see them and the only reason I don't get concerned is I can see their food has been eaten. Because I too use naturally furnished terraria, I don't like to go in there lifting up moss or the carved up logs.
Click the image to open in full size.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack