The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Fire salamanders and breeding

This is a discussion on Fire salamanders and breeding within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a salamandra salamandra and was wondering if I must breed with another salamandra salamandra or if I can ...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blackbun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aron1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fire salamanders and breeding

I have a salamandra salamandra and was wondering if I must breed with another salamandra salamandra or if I can breed with another salamadra sub speciesClick the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Aron1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Fire salamanders and breeding

You should only breed it with another Salamandra salamandra, it would be a real shame to breed with another subspecies.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aron1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I was thinking

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Aron1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hello Gage, this is actually a good question and I've heard it before with various responses. In my mind, you have to ask yourself why do you want to do it? I know in their natural range where various subspecies over lap there is breeding with fertile offspring produced and some unusual patterns which people find attractive. A quick Google will show examples not only of intentionally captive bred animals but also photos by herpetologists on their various field trips of wild, naturally occurring cross.

Years back, I knew someone who had a female S.s.s. and these were the days when few animals were actually available. He got hold of two male S.s.t. I believe and cross bred them. He then took an F1 youngster most similar to the S.s.s. and crossed it back to the mother. I think the idea was to increase the stock of the S.s.s. The project was sold on as White's tree frogs became the new big thing. Personally, I'd never cross subspecies and I'd not encourage or recommend it either. If I were ever short of a mate for a single animal, I'd wait it out given their longevity.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: yama has started on the right path

Maybe I missed it. But did anyone actually go into the process of breeding them??? I certainly get the part about not crossing the genes up. However, I did not see where those who have bred them explained the process that worked for them. I guess the title of the thread was a bit misleading. "Fire salamanders and breeding"

yama is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack