The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Beautiful species/subspecies guide for Salamandra

This is a discussion on Beautiful species/subspecies guide for Salamandra within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; William Jones just recently completed this beautiful piece of work: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/S...ra_guide.shtml I urge everyone to take a look and enjoy....

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jennifer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2006   #1 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

William Jones just recently completed this beautiful piece of work:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/S...ra_guide.shtml

I urge everyone to take a look and enjoy.

Old 5th May 2006   #2 (permalink)
kieron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

WOW well done will that is rellay good saved it to my fav's lol keep up the good work

Old 29th May 2006   #3 (permalink)
christian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Really nice article, now we can clearly see the beauty of Salamandra's.

Old 16th July 2006   #4 (permalink)
vicky_rut

Gallery Images:
Comments:

<font color="aa00aa"> Heck!
I thought I had s.s.salamander, now
I am not sure *blushes*
might even be terrestris, not sure now
*starts biting nails* </font>

Old 16th July 2006   #5 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow! Great job on that Will!

Old 17th July 2006   #6 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Vicky, if you do not know the locality where your Salamandra came from, it may never be possible to know with certainty which subspecies they are.

Old 17th July 2006   #7 (permalink)
kamil

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi,

still there are mistakes in the S. atra part. S. a. prenjensis is not a valid subspecies anymore and the new subspecies S. atra pasubiensis is not listed.

Best greetings,

Kamil

Old 17th July 2006   #8 (permalink)
william

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hehe It was only a matter of time before a mistake was discovered Click the image to open in full size.

Kamil- do you have any literature on prenjensis? or pasubiensis for that matter! I knew that prenjensis was slightly dodgey but i hadn't seen any articles on it.

thank you for your kind words everyone else

(Message edited by will_j on July 17, 2006)

Old 17th July 2006   #9 (permalink)
kamil

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello William,

pasubiensis was described in:

Evolution of the melanistic colour in the Alpine salamander Salamandra atra as revealed by a new subspecies from the Venetian Prealps. This was published by Lucio Bonato and Sebastian Steinfartz in the Italian Journal of Zoology, 72: 253 - 260 (2005)

Best Greetings,

Kamil

Old 18th July 2006   #10 (permalink)
frank

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi William,

Maybe you can add this picture of a S. s. werneri.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th July 2006   #11 (permalink)
frank

Gallery Images:
Comments:

And maybe this S s almanzoris can also be added.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st August 2006   #12 (permalink)
vicky_rut

Gallery Images:
Comments:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Jennifer Macke on Monday 17 July 2006 - 04:21 (#POST101270):</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
<font color="aa00aa">I see, then that's that, I still have very
cute salamanders Click the image to open in full size. </font>

Old 3rd August 2006   #13 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Frank, thank you for the photos! Will, can you please assemble an exact list of what needs to be changed in the article?

Old 15th September 2006   #14 (permalink)
kamil

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice that you added Pasubiensis now!

Old 15th September 2006   #15 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi William,

Maybe you can add these two pictures of S.a.tingitana &amp; S.i.semenovi, here too please?

http://www.feuersalamander.com/image.../tingitana.jpg

http://www.feuersalamander.com/imagesboard/semenovi.jpg

Greetings Michael ...

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Beautiful species/subspecies guide for Salamandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
hehe It was only a matter of time before a mistake was discovered Click the image to open in full size.

Kamil- do you have any literature on prenjensis? or pasubiensis for that matter! I knew that prenjensis was slightly dodgey but i hadn't seen any articles on it.

thank you for your kind words everyone else

(Message edited by will_j on July 17, 2006)

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1...50000509356680

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beautiful, guide, salamandra, species or subspecies

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 93 (Set)

ahritchie, AlanS, Alex Tsukanov, AmbystoMan, Amphibia, andiskimo, Badmungo, beefsteak, benw, BILLY JAMES, Blackbun, Brynjar, Bunnygirl, caleb, Catwiesel, Chinadog, chris13, Cliff, Clive, Coastal Groovin, creatorlars, cynopsonico, Demitami, Diogo Juliao, drdetroit33, Dyelon, Emi, Endemico, ErikM, esoteric, FrogEyes, froggy, Goblin, goshawkben, greabo, GussieFinknottl, gyrfalcon, Hauch, Hellbrinqer, Herpin Man, Hooky87, horsefieldi, ivan, Jensino, jmailhot, KrisztianNemeth, Larryjo08, Lauri, lchakan, loga, Marcus, Mathias Holm, megs, michael, Michael Schantz, mifune, Momfer de Mol, morrisseybond, mossatossa, nateb, Niels D, Octo, OliverBridle, otolith, Paulhoskisson, PereJosa, PHILIP, punctata, Quetzacoatl, Robk, robkeulers, rscarr3768, Salamanderfire, salamandergal, saydemir, sde, SeanUK, Sebas2000, Shilling, siskin, skyler, slater, slatera, snak3s, sockhom, Spectacled90, Steve Roman, Stupot1610, Syotos, tdimler, tim, ummi, Warren Spencer
LinkBack