The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My salamandra ( beschkovi and gigliolii )

This is a discussion on My salamandra ( beschkovi and gigliolii ) within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, my name is Travis Dimler. I have been following the forum for a while but have never posted. I ...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By travis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2005   #1 (permalink)
travis

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello, my name is Travis Dimler. I have been following the forum for a while but have never posted. I am from San Antonio, Texas, USA. I just thought I would post some pictures of my salamandra. I'd like to hear from anyone else who keeps gigliolii in the U.S.

This is my first time posting pictures, I hope it works.

My two sub-adult S. s. beschkovi

Click the image to open in full size.

This is my adult male S.s. gigliolii I sure wish I could find him a mate!
Click the image to open in full size.

I hope you enjoy.

Old 25th August 2005   #2 (permalink)
travis

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very nice looking animals. Not many other people in the US keep either of those subs. The giglioli are really sought after but just scarce. How did you come across yours? Thanks for the pics.
Travis

Old 25th August 2005   #3 (permalink)
frank

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Travis, nice animals. Why do you think these animals are beshkovi? They don't look like beshkovi to me, rather S. s. salamandra.

Old 25th August 2005   #4 (permalink)
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My same thoughts exactly. Typical besckovi have a broad stripe dorsal...

Old 25th August 2005   #5 (permalink)
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Translated from "Der Feuersalamander" by Burkhard Thiesmeier (ISBN: 3-933066-21-2):

Of the following two subspecies, S. s. beschkovi is disputed and S. s. werneri has never been reconized, though it is discussed more often. S. s. beschkovi could be a local variation of S. s. salamandra. There are indications that S. s. werneri could be an individual taxonomic unit.

original text:
Von den nachfolgenden beiden Underarten ist S. s. beschkovi umstritten und S. s. werneri niemals anerkannt worden, wenngleich häufiger in der Diskussion. Bei S. s. beschkovi könnte es sich um eine Standortmodifikation von S. s. salamandra handeln. Für S. s. werneri gibt es Hinweise, dass eine eigenständige taxonomische Einheit vorliegen könnte.

I hope I did an ok job translating this!

(Message edited by ester on August 25, 2005)

Old 25th August 2005   #6 (permalink)
travis

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the insight on beschkovi. I am certainly in no position to dispute the statements of others, as I am no expert on this salamandra subspecies. All I can tell you is what I know.

I purchased the two juvi salamandra from a guy here in the U.S. that was getting out of the salamandra breeding business. He was very knowledgeable and had spent quite some time over in Europe studying salamandra. He produced the two individuals. He told me that beschkovi were from the Primor (spelling??) mountains in Bulgaria. He told me that in his experience they tended to be a slightly more bulky salamandra with a cleaner, more vibrant yellow. This is the extent of what I know on beschkovi. I have yet to find much available information on this subspecies.

I appreciate the comments; I will not be distraught if they turn out to be plain old salamandra salamandra

Also, I am earnestly seeking a way to acquire female gigliolii. I know that there are none to be had over here. So any direction you could give me as to how I might get some would be greatly appreciated. We are at a loss for available salamandra in the U.S.A.

Travis

Old 25th August 2005   #7 (permalink)
ester

Gallery Images:
Comments:

More from the same book Click the image to open in full size.

Salamandra salamandra beschkovi Obst, 1981
Relatively large growing, short tailed and extremely short legged. The head looks like that of S. s. salamandra. Characterstic for the dorsal pattern is a clustering of yellow spots along or on top of the backbone, while the sides have a clustering of small sharply defined spots.
Habitat: Sandanski-Bistrica-valley (Pirin-mountains), north of the city Sandanski in the south of Bulgaria.
Distribution: Pirin-mountains in the south of bulgaria.

Original text:
Salamandra salamandra beschkovi Obst, 1981
Relativ grosswüchsig, kurzschwänzig und extrem kurzbeinig. Kopf ähnlich S. s. salamandra. Characteristisch für die RÜckenzeichnung ist eine Fleckungshäufung gelber Pigmentfelder entlang oder auf der Wilbersäule, während die Flanken durch eine Anhäufung kleiner, scharf begrenzter Flecken gekennzeichnet sind.
Terra typica: Sandanski-Bistrica-Tal (Pirin-Gebirge), nördlich der Stadt Sandanski, Südbulgarien.
Verbreitung: Pirin-Gebirge, Südbulgarien.

Old 22nd January 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: My salamandra ( beschkovi and gigliolii )

Just looking back at some of the very old topics and posts. Firstly what magnificent animals and such beautiful photos are shown here.
Is there a library here some place showing all of the different subspecies and highlighting the huge variation in colour etc within a subspecies? I for one would benefit from one.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

No library as such, but there's so much knowledge and experience on here that you can spend hours post mining with the search function, I know I do and because most of the pictures are hosted by the site they are still visible all these years later, even in the archives. :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/archive/index.php/

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Thank you. You are absolutely right. I find it a very powerfully informative place to be. I maybe try using the app NoteMaster to create and collate information for a personal reference library.

Old 23rd January 2016   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Salamanderfire has given consistently good advice and informationSalamanderfire has given consistently good advice and informationSalamanderfire has given consistently good advice and information
Default AW: Re: My salamandra ( beschkovi and gigliolii )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbun View Post
Is there a library here some place showing all of the different subspecies and highlighting the huge variation in colour etc within a subspecies? I for one would benefit from one.
Maybe this article of caudata culture might be of interest for you:
Caudata Culture Articles - Salamandra Guide

Salamanderfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

ich danke Ihnen sehr ich eine Lese aller Verbindungen haben

Tags
(, ), beschkovi, gigliolii, salamandra

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 17th March 2017, 03:17 (Set) (Clear)

andiskimo, CaesarsAnimals, Catwiesel, John, Stuart
LinkBack