The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Salamandra taxonomy

This is a discussion on Salamandra taxonomy within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Just browsing and musing, and playing with the NCBI Taxonomy Browser: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy...x.cgi?id=57569 OK, so it says "The NCBI taxonomy database ...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2004   #1 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just browsing and musing, and playing with the NCBI Taxonomy Browser:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy...x.cgi?id=57569
OK, so it says "The NCBI taxonomy database is not an authoritative source for nomenclature or classification - please consult the relevant scientific literature for the most reliable information." Well, the most authoratative source I know is right here, so...
Salamandra s. terrestris is not listed in the NCBI browser - which of the listed species is it most similar to?

Also, Serge I notice you didn't include terrestris in your paper:
From Europe to Africa and vice versa: evidence for multiple intercontinental dispersal in ribbed salamanders (Genus Pleurodeles). Veith M, Mayer C, Samraoui B, Barroso DD, Bogaerts S. JOURNAL OF BIOGEOGRAPHY 31 (1): 159-171 JAN 2004.
Is there a specific reason for this?

Old 17th November 2004   #2 (permalink)
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Alann...the paper is about Pleurodeles not Salamandra...so why should we include S.s.terrestris? Don't understand the question...

By the way the authoritative website for nomenclature on amphibians is: http://research.amnh.org/herpetology...bia/index.html and there terrestris is a subspecies of Salamandra salamandra.

Old 17th November 2004   #3 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank you for the link, very informative.

The reason for asking about terrestris is that there a lot of Salamandra mt cytochome B sequences listed in Genbank with that paper as the reference, but terrestris is not listed, e.g:

LOCUS AY336658 398 bp DNA linear VRT 28-FEB-2004
DEFINITION Salamandra salamandra salamandra cytochrome b (cytb) gene, partial
cds; mitochondrial.
ACCESSION AY336658
VERSION AY336658.1 GI:37911178
KEYWORDS .
SOURCE mitochondrion Salamandra salamandra salamandra
ORGANISM Salamandra salamandra salamandra
Eukaryota; Metazoa; Chordata; Craniata; Vertebrata; Euteleostomi;
Amphibia; Batrachia; Caudata; Salamandroidea; Salamandridae;
Salamandra.
REFERENCE 1 (bases 1 to 398)
AUTHORS Veith,M., Mayer,C., Samraoui,B., Donaire Barroso,D. and Bogaerts,S.
TITLE From Europe to Africa and vice versa: evidence for multiple
intercontinental dispersal in ribbed salamanders (Genus
Pleurodeles)
JOURNAL J. Biogeogr. 31 (1), 159-171 (2004)
REFERENCE 2 (bases 1 to 398)
AUTHORS Veith,M., Mayer,C., Samraoui,B., Donaire Barroso,D. and Bogaerts,S.
TITLE Direct Submission
JOURNAL Submitted (05-JUL-2003) Ecology, University Mainz, Institute of
Zoology, Saarstrasse 21, Mainz 55099, Germany

Old 17th November 2004   #4 (permalink)
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Alan, I think on Salamandra there must be much more Genbank data available but if they are all cyt B? I don't know. but i know Steinfartz and others (amongst them me of Salamandra algira with help from Salvador Carranza) have put Salamandra data in the Genbank.

Old 17th November 2004   #5 (permalink)
alan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm guessing that because the Salamandra cytochrome B entries refer to your Pleurodeles paper, they are outgroups used to root dendrograms. I was interested because I would like to validate my new PCR assays. I'll try and get the paper from www.caudata.ru - thanks.

Tags
salamandra, taxonomy

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 9th October 2017, 04:28 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack