The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Salamandra colours???

This is a discussion on Salamandra colours??? within the Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; This year in my breeding I have at least 2 salamandra that have morphed out very bright orange, and a ...

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stablefly has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Salamandra colours???

This year in my breeding I have at least 2 salamandra that have morphed out very bright orange, and a few more are showing the same in the late larval stages. I have not seen this in the last 6 years of breeding these animals but there is a new female in this group.

In the experience of any one else breeding them have you observed any colour changes, like orange back to yellow? I know through observation there are significant changes in pattern over the course of a year or so and I have noticed pattern changes in animals as old as 4 years.

stablefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: stablefly has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Re: Salamandra colours???

her is one with a yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Salamandra colours???-salamandra.jpg  

Old 26th April 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: sergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsergé is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Yes, the orange can disappear and turn to yellow. But...you can never tell in advance for sure. But after one year the intensity of yellow or orange is how it will stay. The red coloration observed in subspeices like gallaica is something completely different and grows while the animal matures and becomes visable mostly on former black parts of the body.

sergé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: beefsteak has started on the right path

I got allot of orange ones last year (Bernardezi) 8 out of 10. are orange.

beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I was out of the country for a few weeks there.
Sergé, thanks for the reply, and good to know. So far 21 out of 32 are orange and 3 have orange head and yellow body markings. Too bad that I hold little faith in them keeping these colours. As well one larvae was a solid gold colour with only some black mottling on the tail edges... it has since become a normal terrestrial salamander.
Thanks again

Old 2nd June 2013   #6 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hi,
feeding the feeders with carotinoides helps too keep/intensify the color. As it is always recommended to feed crickets before giving them to the animals, put carrot oder (red) bell-pepper pieces in the box (be aware of molding!).

Uwe

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack