The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dicamptodon people

This is a discussion on Dicamptodon people within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; This forum seems almost empty so I thought I'd ask how many people here keep Dicamptodon, and do you keep ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Neotenic_Jaymes
  • 2 Post By John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: blackmetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dicamptodon people

This forum seems almost empty so I thought I'd ask how many people here keep Dicamptodon, and do you keep terrestrial or neotenic?

blackmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Dicamptodon people

I don't currently have any, but I have kept terrestrial D.tenebrosus, neotenic D.copei, and terrestrial and neotenic D.aterrimus.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I've kept terrestrial and larval D. ensatus and D. tenebrosus in the past. Never had any neotenes, they are unusual in my area.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: blackmetal is an unknown quantity at this point

All you lucky west coast people the dream species for me, especially the terrestrial version. Do the more southern populations have a higher percent of terrestrial animals or is your area just unsuitable for aquatic adults?

blackmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AquaticEngineer has shown reliable knowledge

I am planning on building a replica biotope of the stream near adjacent to my house that I've found neotenic D. tenebrosus in. Once that's all setup and running with a chiller I'll probably raise a few out and work from there.

Oregon will be implementing new rules in March that allow for the propagation of wild caught non threatened non game animals with a permit. I'll be applying for a couple of them for different species.

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've had D. tenebrosus for a few years now.

Old 27th January 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AquaticEngineer has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotenic_Jaymes View Post
I've had D. tenebrosus for a few years now.
Did someone collect them and gift them to you?

AquaticEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016   #8 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I collected a pair of Dicamptodon paedomorphs under fishing license in California in 2012. Sadly, I lost the male a few months ago but the female is going strong.

LinkBack