The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Co-hab with axolotl?

This is a discussion on Co-hab with axolotl? within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; My buddy tossed me a larval salamander well over a year ago and told me it was a dicamptodon. I ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By knifegill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: knifegill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Co-hab with axolotl?

My buddy tossed me a larval salamander well over a year ago and told me it was a dicamptodon. I wasn't ready to care for him, but he's been in a 10g eating worms and massivore and tadpoles happily. I want to switch up my tanks out there and was wondering if I could put him and my axolotl together in a 25g tank. Are dicamptodon aggressive? They are the same size, and I'd give plenty of hiding spots. Any help is appreciated. If I get a few replies I'll try to share a photo of the guy, maybe you could even take a swing at ID if you felt like it.

knifegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Co-hab with axolotl?

Species mixing in a whole is bad, and especially pond dwellers like axolotls and stream dwellers lice Dicamptodon. Looking at the photos, you do have a Dicamptodon, either a neotenic adult, or a large larva. Here's an article about why you shouldn't mix species: Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters

Old 6th April 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I knew they were good at eating, hadn't considered one would try to put another of the same size into its belly! I think I will just move them both into separate, bigger tanks then.

I use deep sand beds, native aquatic mosses and plants and a sponge filter... I only change their water maybe twice a year, and I only feed them maybe once a week. Their water stays nice and cold and they only get active in the spring, breeding time. My male golden albino axolotl is ready to breed if anybody has a female around. :)

Old 6th April 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

These are pics of what I told is a dicamptodon

Second topic, feel free to merge - Dicamptodon photos

Tags
axolotl, dicamptodon, pacific giant salamander