The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dicamptodon Breeding, has it been done?

This is a discussion on Dicamptodon Breeding, has it been done? within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; If you mean Mario, he has neotenic larvae but he hasn't bred them yet....

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2014   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Dicamptodon Breeding, has it been done?

If you mean Mario, he has neotenic larvae but he hasn't bred them yet.

Old 1st January 2014   #22 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Lisa8! This is incredible! This species courtship and breeding behavior is little documented! you should video or record it! SERIOUSLY! This is incredible! Not much at all is known about this species' courtship and breeding, and if you were able to get a video of it, it could seriously help herpetologists and biologists out I believe. How do you do it?!?!? Pleas share some info! it would be great. I am going to go puzzle and ponder and get confused and freak out for a while. - my reaction- -Seth

Old 2nd January 2014   #23 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I highly doubt anybody in Europe has ever bred them and Janusz is right too
I also doubt "Lisa8" ever bred them. Let us see proofs - but Lisa8 was online the last time when she posted her last reply to this topic.

Old 2nd January 2014   #24 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Why would anybody lie about that? Annoying. Your probably right. Ok, now I have more motivation to find breeding adults, or a female guarding eggs. I hate it when people do that.................

Old 2nd January 2014   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

In some post on this forum someone suggested that Dicamptodon might be breeding underground in large aggregations if i remember correctly.

Old 4th March 2014   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lisa 8 has started on the right path
Red face Re: Dicamptodon Breeding, has it been done?

I appreciate the doubt about breeding these animals because it is not easy. I am a Ph.D. student at Oregon State University and I have been studying life history variables of Dicamptodon salamanders for many years.
Attached Thumbnails
Dicamptodon Breeding, has it been done?-copei-laying-open.jpg  

Lisa 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:

And yes, I have filmed it numerous times.

Old 4th March 2014   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Won't you share any of your information or videos with us?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014   #29 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

If you actually did breed them, why haven't you told anybody? That doesn't make sense. Cause if you did breed them I would think you would know that very little is know about this species' courtship and breeding etc. And it seems like you would be proud to share info, pictures, videos etc. And I don't see why you wouldn't?

So please do, lets see all your pictures and videos and info then. Why not? -Seth

Old 5th March 2014   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:

Really studying anything takes time. I run the risk of giving inaccurate information if I don't do it right. My goal is to help to preserve these critters and others within their ecosystems. I am getting ready to submit for publication and then I will post everything that I can.

Old 29th September 2014   #31 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: milahoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa 8 View Post
Really studying anything takes time. I run the risk of giving inaccurate information if I don't do it right. My goal is to help to preserve these critters and others within their ecosystems. I am getting ready to submit for publication and then I will post everything that I can.

I am excited for your publication. I think these are really fascinating animals. Also, I am hoping to get into the Veterinary program there at OSU :) Go Beavs!

milahoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: eMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Lisa8, are there any updates on your publication status?

eMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, dicamptodon

LinkBack