The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pacific Giant Salamander care

This is a discussion on Pacific Giant Salamander care within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I caught my first D. tenebrosus! I cleaned out some fish in the river while camping in Oregon, and came ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By otolith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cellowithgills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pacific Giant Salamander care

I caught my first D. tenebrosus! I cleaned out some fish in the river while camping in Oregon, and came back an hour later to get some more water for some unknown eggs that I had found. As i was walking up to the river, I saw a small salamander in the water, when i went to get a closer look, I saw a much much bigger one a couple feet away. I went for the bigger one. All and all I saw about 4 ranging from 4" to the one that I grabbed at 9 1/2". I got him set up in a 29 gallon tank with 4 pumps (2, 65 gph, 2 150gph). Is there anything I should watch for? I'd like to keep him neotenic, what's the best way to keep him that way?

Last edited by Otterwoman; 9th August 2010 at 12:37. Reason: fixing up
cellowithgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Pacific Giant Salamander care

Cool temperatures and clean water. You should give the salamander a lot of room and lots of hides. Provide less stress elements with oxygenated water. Many things can make a newt or salamander morph. Bad water quality, stress, high temps and many other things. If you could keep the temperature lower than 65 degrees and try your best to provide positive elements. Time and dedication! Good luck!

Old 9th August 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

There isn't much information out there about the factors that regulate their metamophosis. If you found one that is so large it is probably already a fully mature neotenic. But probably the best advice is to keep it happy (well-fed, clean water, and no aggressive tank mates.) as already mentioned

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice find! I agree with Pete, a 9" one is probably a neotenic adult. Keeping the water temperature stable and cold enough will probably be the most difficult thing about keeping it. They are very aggressive and active feeders, as long as the water quality is good and there are plenty of hides it should do very well.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: SkinksGalore77 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's an awesome find! I saw a neotonic adult a couple of years ago at the columbia gorge but it wasnt that big.

SkinksGalore77 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack