The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

D. tenbrosus larva MORPHED Overnight!

This is a discussion on D. tenbrosus larva MORPHED Overnight! within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Well not overnight, but in a week and a half.... fed him an entire nightcrawler ( nearly his own size) ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bewilderbeast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: bewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbewilderbeast is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default D. tenbrosus larva MORPHED Overnight!

Well not overnight, but in a week and a half....

fed him an entire nightcrawler ( nearly his own size) a week or so ago and then got busy with grad studies and due dates etc.... went to feed him today and low and behold, his gills had completely reduced. And he has grown a half inch in the last week.
Patterning is coming in bright and strong on the head and the tail is still fairly paddle like.

I would have liked to catch this while it was happening so I could take notes on the process... Oh well... my own fault.

He seems a bit small for the transformation from what I've read and only 3 years old (caught him as a tiny little tadpole) I believe the transformation was due to a water level drop in the tank from 8 inches of water to 5. He has proven a most hardy captive and I was not worried about a temporary drop in water level as he has dealt with it before. Didn't expect him to morph for another year or so.

I'll post a video soon

bewilderbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: D. tenbrosus larva MORPHED Overnight!

That's cool. So about how big was it when it transformed? I look forward to a video or some photos maybe.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Very cool. I kept some of these for a bit. They were more... primal? than axolotls. Axolotls are cute, but these guys were predators!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011   #4 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hey,

I'm really looking forward to see the video!

I got some D. tenebrosus too, mine are about 16cm (~6 inches) and are growing fast.

I'm always happy to get information of other Dicamptodon keepers!

Greetings,
Mario

MarioR is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack