The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

D. tenebrosus breeding behaviour question

This is a discussion on D. tenebrosus breeding behaviour question within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I referr to Amphibia the magazine of the AG Urodela, a part of the DGHT. AG Urodela...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2013   #21 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: D. tenebrosus breeding behaviour question

I referr to Amphibia the magazine of the AG Urodela, a part of the DGHT.
AG Urodela

Old 15th February 2015   #22 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Although I think there's nothing new on this Genus I didn't read:
Any answers to my questions?

My group of 5 got a big enclosure (260x160cm / ~8x5ft) now and very naturalistic condistions.

Greets,
Mario

Old 15th February 2015   #23 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Do you still have sand for a substrate? I personally would recommend river rocks or gravel, as it is much more like their natural habitat.
Any pictures?

Old 16th February 2015   #24 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

They never had sand as substrate, but I don't think they care about it at all.
They simply would like to have some grip.

Right now they have no ground in their enclosure but many big stones (10*10cm - 60*60cm).

I don't have any pictures in here right now because I moved to a new flat recently.

Greetings,
Mario

Old 16th February 2015   #25 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Ah, I see. I saw the full tank shots and it looked like sand to me, but I see it is more of a fine gravel when I looked at the salamander close ups.

Have you achieved breeding or courtship behavior with this species since 2012? Is their new tank indoors or outdoors now? Do you know how many males and females you have? Sorry for all the questions, I just find this species very fascinating and would like to have a go at breeding them myself someday.
Also, I have had no luck finding the article you spoke of on the internet. Is it only in the AG Urodela Magazine?
Thanks! -Seth

Old 17th February 2015   #26 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

I couldn't see any further breeding behaviour since 2012 but I think that doesn't mean anything.

Their new enclosure is indoors too. Most important for me right now is to cool them down as far as possible. unfortunately the pumps that provide current (4 with 20000L/h together) also increase the temperature by 2°C.

I think I have 1,4. The male looks different, there is a sexual dimorphism as friends and me found out.

Here's the article: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwAu...eFU/edit?pli=1

Greetings,
Mario

Old 25th February 2015   #27 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Good luck in achieving breeding!

Cooling is a very important aspect of breeding success in this species I am sure, in the wild the temperatures can drop below 0c easily.

The cloaca in the male is larger. Have you noticed any other sexual dimorphisms?

Thanks very much for the article!

Old 26th February 2015   #28 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

The difference in cloacal shape and bulge was only visible when he was "in mood".

What french friends and me noticed are muscles around the jaws of males. It's close to what Siren show.

Greets,
Mario

LinkBack