The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dicamps in Sno./King Counties

This is a discussion on Dicamps in Sno./King Counties within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello all, I am new here. I am a regular post-er at the FHF site, and am a resident of ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PNWHerper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: PNWHerper is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Dicamps in Sno./King Counties

Hello all,

I am new here. I am a regular post-er at the FHF site, and am a resident of the eastside of Seattle Area. I have been field herping for years in the PNW, and have found some awesome creatures out there. I have, thus far, been unsuccessful with finding coastal giant salamanders. I want to photograph them up close, and observe them in the wild, but am not interested in collecting any or keeping them.

Thanks!

PNWHerper aka Filip T.

Last edited by Otterwoman; 27th January 2013 at 21:09. Reason: locality request edited out
PNWHerper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Dicamps in Sno./King Counties

Call me obtuse, but does "locality request edited out" come across to anyone, in addition to the general flavor of the post, as a locality request?

I've looked briefly in that area, but the habitat wasn't right where I looked. On the coast and in the Oregon Cascades, I have found Dicamptodon to be stupidly common. In Idaho, the genus seems very localized but semi-common where present, but in Montana VERY spotty so far [several at one locality searched]. Make sure to find the right habitat. I've done most of my searching July to early October, when water levels can be very low [a trickle in some] in some streams, and salamanders can be found in rocky streams surrounded by forest, even if that stream is little more than puddles connected by seepage under the talus. At this time of year, I suspect water levels in the best streams might be too high and fast to be practical.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

My mistake, FrogEyes. Must have missed the rules in my excitement. Better go and read them before I do something else against the rules...

I saw others posting on specific locations when reading through different posts. There are even some labelled with specific creek names. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 29th January 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Could not access the rules, and made the assumption based on posts by others about locality sharing being somewhat okay here. I saw some posts labelled with specific locations and perhaps got the wrong impression.

Was not intending to cause issue or be inconsiderate of the rules of engagement here.

Old 29th January 2013   #5 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWHerper View Post
Could not access the rules, and made the assumption based on posts by others about locality sharing being somewhat okay here. I saw some posts labelled with specific locations and perhaps got the wrong impression.

Was not intending to cause issue or be inconsiderate of the rules of engagement here.
See this on sharing locality: Important: Locality Information Policy

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Jan. Having to re-learn a new forum site. Thanks for the link.

LinkBack