The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

D. ensatus won't eat

This is a discussion on D. ensatus won't eat within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Early last month i collected an adult metamorphsed D. ensatus. It was originally going to be a preserved specimen in ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Msteffen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D. ensatus won't eat

Early last month i collected an adult metamorphsed D. ensatus. It was originally going to be a preserved specimen in the lab I work in(we do evolutionary biology of salamanders), but I didn't have the heart to do the deed, so now I am trying to keep the salamander as a pet. Honestly though, a preserved specimen is still going to be its final fate, however, I want that to come about naturally.

My problem is, the salamander doesn't seem to be interested in eating anything. So far i've tried crickets, earthworms, and feeding it salamanders(Desmognathus). The the only thing it shows the tiniest bit of interest towards in is earthworms once in awhile, and by interest i mean some times it looks at the worm for a second, and has snapped at it a couple times. These snaps didn't seem very predatory, and more like a pissed off movement.

I was planning on trying to give it a pinkie today but the only store i know of that sells alive pinkies in my area is now closed apparently. I should be able to get a live pinkies next week to try though. I am also planning on trying waxworms at some point. I may also try and see if it would maybe additional species of salamanders.

Anyone got any recommendations? I've tried the dangling of a worm in front of it(this is the only time I get a half hearted response). The set up i have for it is a 20 gallon long with some nice hiding spots which she takes advantage of.

Thanks,
Mike

Msteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: D. ensatus won't eat

I'm certain you know how to keep and maintain this species of salamander. Especially if you're in the habitats of the D. ensatus. I have no experience with D. ensatus but I do have a few D. tenebrosus. Though mine are gilled they transitioned very well. A friend of mine has morphed adults and he never had any problems with feeding. His even bite him.

Could be stressed and just needs time. A healthy salamander can go weeks without eating and still be ok.

Old 19th February 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Msteffen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: D. ensatus won't eat

Well, after trying earthworms, crickets, a pinky, and crickets again, the salamander is finally eating.

Seems like stress and a shrinking stomach were the key.

Mike

Msteffen is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack